Chapter 4

Thank God the car ride home was quiet, Dustin didn’t ask about everything that had just happened and I knew he was trying to give me space. I needed to wrap my head around the events from today. We rounded the corner and Dustin pulled to the curve to let me out.
    "Love you Dan. Let me know if you need anything, I’m always here.” Dustin called as I climbed out of his Honda. I closed the car door then leaned into the car from the window.
    “Thanks Dusty, I’ll can you later. Love you too.” I turned and walked toward the house hearing Dustin pull away. Lifting up the ‘Welcome’ mat I grabbed the key unlocked the door and pushed inside. Walking to the kitchen I saw a note on the fridge,
     Won’t be home till late. Left money on the counter for supper. Love dad
      Overtime, again? I turned from the note and grabbed the forty dollars from the counter. Leaving the Kitchen I ran up the stairs to my room and jumped on my bed. Laying on my back I thought about everything that had happened today, Ugh you need to let loose sometimes, it’s not the end of the world. Dustin’s voice dance in my head. Remembering his words from long ago I grabbed my phone out of my pocket, scrolled through the contacts clicking on Dustin’s face I called him.
    “Hey girl, what’s up?” Dustin’s voice came through.
    "Do you wanna go to Second Street tonight?”
    “Umm sure. But Dan are you okay? You’ve never wanted to voluntarily go their.” His voice was full of concern.
    "No I’m fine I just want to have some fun that’s all.” I chuckled.
    “Well okay then. What time do you wanna go?” I looked at the alarm clock on my nightstand that read 5:17.
    “Be here at 6 okay.” I decided.
    “Okay see you then.” Ending the call I stood up from my bed, went to my bathroom and washed my face. Looking in the mirror I pulled my hair into a high ponytail, and walked out. Across my room I headed to my closet and grabbed a long sleeve oversized ACDC tee and some mom jeans and then turned from the closet.
     Ugh you need to let loose sometimes.. Dustin's words echoed through my head and a huge smile lit across my face, I turned back to my closet, returned the jeans to their place then walked over to a set of drawers.  Fumbling through the drawers I picked out a pair of fluffy mustard yellow socks that matched the writing of my shirt and a pair of net tights.      
     Throwing the clothes on my bed, I went back to the bathroom to put on makeup. Once I finished I decided to leave my hair down and messy. I left the bathroom and walked over to my bed, after finished throwing on my clothes I looked into the mirror. I wore the oversized tee that came to my mid-thigh and only the net tights on my legs. I was surprised with how good my makeup had turned out; my face looked smooth but glowy, my eyes bore winged liner, and I sported red lips. My hair was unruly but cute, and looking in the mirror I couldn’t believe myself. The new look was different for sure but for some reason I liked it. Giving an accomplished look in the mirror I heard my phone buzz.
     Looking at the clock that now read 5:55 I grabbed the mustard socks and my black old school Vans. Before sitting down on my bed I quickly slipped them on and reached for my phone.  
Dustin- I’m here.
Me- Okay be there in a sec.
     I replied to Dustin message and crawled of my bed. Taking the forty dollars off my nightstand I stuffed it into my wallet and walked down the stairs.

*********

     I Locked the door and returned the key to beneath the ‘Welcome’ mat. Turning around I saw Dustin standing against his car with a look of amazement. He was wearing black ripped jeans and a white polo beneath a jean jacket, his hair was perfect but messy and he had a red bandana tied around his neck.
    “Dang.” Dustin looked me up and down giving me a satisfied look.
    "I decided to let loose a little.” I said crossing the lawn towards him.
    "I can tell.” He opened the passengers door for me and I climbed in.
     Dustin walked around and slid into the driver’s seat. He cranked the car and looked at me with concern as we pulled away.
     “Danny you’re okay right?” his tone was flat and serious.
       I turned to look at him, he was staring out the window eyes focused on the road, his jaw was clenched and I could tell he was worried.
      "Dustin I had a long day and I just wanted to let loose a little and have some fun with you. I need to take my mind off things okay?” Dustin looked at me as we approach a stop sign and gave me a smile.
      “Okay and by the way you look HOT. All eyes are gonna be on you.” giving me a wink he turned his attention back to the road and pulled away from the stop sign.