2 | Taking Chances

The stiff door finally opened with a loud squeak and Billie cringed when every head turned to face her. That's when the slight murmuring began and picked up until Billie's ears were red and the teacher managed to settle them. 

"I suppose you are the Miss Langford we have been expecting?" The history teacher asked and Billie nodded. "Right, class, this is Billie, Billie these are my historians, I am Mr. Monmery, welcome and please find a seat so we may continue." 

The brunette settled between a boy eating a donut he was hiding under the table and a girl with a bleached afro who moved her bag to make room for Billie to sit. 

"Thank you," Billie said to the girl who nodded in return. 

"No problem, though you'll probably regret choosing that seat. There's a reason it's never occupied." She warned. 

"I'll take my chances," Billie said looking over to one of the other spare seats dead center between a gaggle of girls all focused on the boys behind them rather than Mr. Monmery's explanation of Hyper-inflation. 

The girl regarded her for a moment and then nodded. "I think I'll like you. Hannah Roberts." 

"Billie Langford." She smiled brightly and Hannah almost caught the infectious smile. It was so warm and genuine Hannah almost wanted to cover it in order to save her from losing it. A girl like Billie in Northwood High never smiles for long. 

____

"So where did you transfer from?" Mikey, a boy Hannah had introduced as her lesbian male lover, asked while dipping his chips in ketchup. 

Billie had been invited by Hannah to sit with her and her small group of friends at lunch to save her from the humiliation of finding a table to sit at. The cafeteria was like a jungle and only the fittest survived. 

"St. Margarets," Billie said as she pierced her juice box with a straw and took a sip.  

Mikey almost choked on his chips whilst Hannah and their other friend Piper shared a glance. "You mean that Catholic all-girls school?" 

"Yeah..." Billie said with uncertainty as she received strange looks from those around her. 

"So that means you've rarely encountered the male species?" He asked intrigued, leaning forward to hear her better and Hannah pulled him back and gave him a swift slap around the back of the head. 

"Obviously she has, idiot." 

Mikey shook Hannah's hands off and turned back to Billie who remained clueless to why everyone was so intrigued. "I meant that you're most likely still a virgin, aren't you?"

"Mikey!" Piper shouted throwing her carrot sticks at him. 

"What? Hey! Ouch!" He batted away her onslaught of vegetables. "I'm just saying most girls lose their virginity in the school toilets, I'm guessing Billie didn't exactly have the opportunity like others." He looked pointedly at Piper and she rolled her eyes looking away from him with a frown. 

A large hand slapped Mikey on the shoulders and he jumped in shock to find a large football player standing over him with a smile. "What's this I'm hearing about virgin's Mikey?" He asked and the rest of the table looked unpleased with the boy's presence. 

"O-oh nothing," Mikey tried to wave off but the boy looked briefly at Billie before releasing his shoulder. 

"How about you introduce me to your new friend Mikey, don't keep her cooped up in this little depressing corner all to yourselves." He said with a wicked smile. 

"Fuck off Preston," Hannah grunted sending him a glare which he returned fiercely. 

"Roberts, I see you're still bitter," Preston said with a knowing smirk and Hannah stabbed her lettuce with her fork silently simmering. "Doesn't matter, games almost over now anyway." He said. 

"Game?" Billie asked trying to relieve some tension when she saw Hannah became uncomfortable under his gaze. 

Preston's eyes flew to her and he gave her a charming smile, the glare he had once possessed hidden behind his happy expression. "Yeah. You should really get involved, it'll be a lot more fun with you there. Friday, don't miss out." 

Preston left with a wink and Billie glanced around to table to see the trio exchanged worried looks but said nothing.