3 | The Rest

"So how was your first day of surviving Northwood High?" Piper asked Billie as they walked out the school doors along with the rest of the chattering teenagers. 

Billie smiled and shrugged. "Different to my old school but I liked that about it."

"Yeah, I can't imagine not having any boys, who vandalizes your toilets or makes the classrooms smell of sweat?" Both girls laughed and Piper walked with Billie to where their bikes were stationed, Hannah and Mikey both took the bus and had left earlier as to not miss it. 

As Billie was unlocking her bike chain, she heard Piper inhale sharply and she looked to the short bubble-gum pink haired girl who had frozen. 

"Are you okay?" Billie straightened and tried to follow her line of sight. 

"Why is Elijah Thompson glaring at us?" She whispered, her body still like the teenage boy with piercing grey eyes was a T-rex. 

Billie saw only one set of eyes planted on them and she was taken back to her encounter with him earlier. It was her Absolem. Well, not her Absolem, and he wasn't called Absolem, but she didn't linger on the thought as she gave him a smile. He didn't seem to care for sending one back and simply turned away from them to enter a shiny black car he had been leaning against. 

"I don't know but I met him this morning. He seemed nice enough." Billie said walking with her bike at her hip as Piper did the same. 

"Nice?" Piper chortled. "Are we talking about the same guy here? Elijah Thompson? The same Elijah Thompson that tried burning down the school last year and only talks to his insanely attractive college friends?"

"I don't know." Billie had rarely encountered boys in her life let alone hold a conversation with one like she had Elijah. "He reminded me of one of my favorite book characters." She admitted and Piper began laughing hysterically. 

"What Patrick Bateman? Ah, you're so innocent Billie." Piper sighed. "Guys like Elijah aren't nice and never will so get that out of your head now or don't heed my warnings and end up like the rest."

"The rest?" Billie asked but Piper only answered her question with a short 'bye!' before she cycled off in the opposite direction that Billie needed to head in. 

____

"How was your day?" Billie asked her mother when she saw she must of at some point of the day crawled out from her room and threw herself on the sofa. 

Penelope Langford shrugged and said nothing. 

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" Billie tried to spark up a conversation again as she tried to make the house more homely and unpack some books to put on their bookshelf. 

She was once again met with a silent shrug. 

"Okay, I think I'll get started on some spaghetti." Billie hurried off into the kitchen so her mother wouldn't see her eyes becoming watery.