8 | Mona Lisa

"Did you say Preston was waiting for us at reception?" Hannah asked from behind her thick wooly scarf and Billie nodded as she checked her phone. 

"Yes but I need to head to my locker quickly to grab my bag. I'll meet you guys there." Mikey and Hannah nodded and they split off in separate directions, Billie hurrying inside to her locker. 

Finally reaching the scratched up metal box, she entered the combination and pulled out her bag. Closing her locker, Billie screamed as she was startled by the sight of Elijah leaning against the locker beside hers. 

"Boo."

"You scared me." She stated as she caught her breath before a smile lifted on her face. "Congratulations on the win." 

He shrugged and pulled at a loose sticker fraying from the locker he was leaned on. "Didn't play to win." He straightened up and he could have given the Mona Lisa a run for her money with his 'smile'. "Winning is boring."

"So why did you help your team win the game then?" She asked intrigued, all thoughts of Preston, Hannah and Mikey had escaped her mind. 

"I came to prove a point." 

Billie raised her eyebrows as an indicator to proceed. "Preston should stop stepping on my toes. I don't like competition." 

"For the role of captain?" Mikey had explained to Billie during the last half of the game that Elijah was captain last year but was removed for unknown reasons, some say because he was suspended all the time, others speculate he quit. 

Elijah said nothing apart from a simple hum as he kept his hypnotic eyes on Billie. She stared back, drowning in pools of silver. 

Slowly, as if waiting for her to stop him, he reached forward and gently touched the skin beneath her lips. The tip of his thumb just grazing the lower line as he wiped away the excess lipstick Piper had accidentally left. 

He retracted his hand and she reminded herself to breathe. 

A beep pulled her to the surface and she suddenly regained logical thoughts. She had forgotten her friends were waiting for her! Slipping her bag over her head, Billie backed away sheepishly. 

"I have to go, but it was nice talking to you, Elijah." She said and he nodded. 

"It wasn't as painful conversing with you this time Billie." He admitted and she felt proud she had made some progress with him.