0 | Prolouge

"What's wrong? You've been acting so out of character recently." My voice penetrates the awkward silence. I cross my arms and eye her sharply, raising an eyebrow upon awaiting a response. And when I fail to receive one, I keep on talking. Irritatingly. "You've been so distant lately. Are you trying to block me out? Have I done something to hurt you? And what benefits are you receiving from being so annoyingly silent about it? It won't fix a goddamn thing."

She decides against answering even one of the many questions I'd desperately fired at her. She doesn't even bother to meet my gaze. Instead, she stares down at the ground through those electric blue eyes, orbs that I fell in love with upon meeting her a couple months ago, orbs that now undeniably flicker with agitation upon the sound of my voice, a dreaded sound that probably sounds nothing better than nails on a chalkboard to her.

That same silence lingers, refusing to lift. My patience is running thin. I move into her line of sight, and she looks away again. What's her problem? This behaviour has been apparent for how long now, five days straight, perhaps? Maybe to some that doesn't sound like a lot. To hell with them. Because her exasperated behaviour, her cold glances and her bitter silence is driving me insane. And if I were to tell you it didn't at all hurt, I'd be telling a tremendous lie.

"For fucks sake, talk to me!" The desperation evident in my voice is far from attractive to say the least, but what else is there to do? "What've bothering you so much? What've I done in the span of a few days to make you act so out of character? And why are you being so goddamn secretive about it all? I'm trying to help the situation here! Can't you please be cooperative for once?"

And with that, through sadistic narrowed slits, those icy irises finally fixate on me. "You're telling me to be co-operative? Real fucking funny." From the corner of my eye, I see her clench her fist tightly, angrily. "I've been loyal as anything to you. I've held this back, telling myself every night, 'I'm sure it'll be fine tomorrow', but guess what? Surprise surprise, it never improved."

I blink hard, attempting to comprehend her words and make sense of the situation. "What are you even referring to with that? I don't know what I've done to hurt you, and you refuse to fucking tell me!"

"Stop acting so incredibly thick, it isn't cute." She huffs, shaking her head vigorously before turning away again. "You know exactly what you've done."

By this point I'm wracking my brains, trying to think of something I've done or something I've said that may have triggered her bad mood. But nothing comes to mind. "I spend all my free time with you in some way or other. Hell, I've skipped dance classes to be with you - that shit isn't cheap, and yet I waste it away to be with your ungrateful ass. I try my very fucking best to make you happy, to make you feel special. I give you all I physically can, and this is how you repay that? What've I done to upset you so much? Just tell me already!"

She laughs, a monotonous, bitter sound. "God, stop making me laugh. You're pathetic. Bitchy. Careless. Dishonest. Why did I even agree to this? To us? Biggest waste of time of my fucking life." That cold gaze burns into me. Her words? A stab in the chest. My efforts? Wasted, apparently.

"What've I done?" By now, the anger in my voice is drowned out by despondency. Tears threaten my eyes. I don't want to cry. Not in front of her. My chest burns, my hearts feels heavy, and my voice cracks and breaks as I speak. "I don't understand. I'm so sorry. I've tried to treat you like the princess I thought you were, and apparently that's all gone to waste, has it not?"

She scoffs, selfishly refusing to see my point of view. "What kind of princess were you trying to treat me as — Cinderella in the basement? Stop with all these lies. I've had enough." The wind picks up, howling and biting at my bare arms, sending shivers down my spine. Her hair flows messily in the wind. She doesn't shiver. I'm left freezing.

"But—"

"Just shut the fuck up already." She turns her back on me. "The damage has been done and you acting so pathetically desperate isn't doing you any favours. We are done." She glances briefly at me over her shoulder, her expression showing nothing but disgust, before turning away once more and walking down the darkened, solitary streets.

My knees feel weak, too weak to support my trembling body. Her words have pierced me, a painful spear through my heart. I watch her back as she walks away, her figure getting smaller and smaller before disappearing out of sight, and I'm left completely alone.

One by one, those stubborn tears spill, racing down my cheeks before falling down to the concrete beneath my feet. She's gone. She's never coming back.

And it's all my fault.

=====

Hello, lovely people, and welcome to my new (kinda!!) fanfiction! ♪
Initially, this fanfic was published about a year ago, along with three or four chapters. Since then, I decided I wanted to heavily edit the pre-existing chapters before continuing, so I took it down, and after a TON of editing later, I'm happy to finally present to you my latest work!
In case you can't tell from the title, this is a Hatsune Miku x Megurine Luka fanfiction.
The following chapters contain foul language, and will cover topics such as homosexuality, homophobia, and mental illness, such as depression and anxiety. If this isn't your cup of tea, there are plenty other amazing vocaloid fanfics out there. :)
Aside from that, thank you for clicking on this fanfic, and I hope you enjoy! <3