14 | Miku

I think we can all universally agree that nobody likes school. The education system is a mess in itself; lessons mean nothing, my head is too clouded to take in anything from Language lectures, and Chemistry is too tricky of a topic for me to properly get my head around. The school day starts far too early, too — did you know that the ideal time to start learning would be 10am? Studies have shown that the adolescent brain can't reach its maximum productivity until this time, so why do I have to be here at half past eight every morning, sleep deprived, my hair a mess and my eyes drifting shut?

A yawn escapes my lips as I sink further down into the uncomfortable polymer chair, my mind wandering from the maths equations sprawled across the whiteboard. It's a foreign language to me, anyway; what's the point in even trying when I know I'm going to fail horribly, humiliate myself in front of many? Plus, in whichever career field I someday end up in, I highly doubt the quadratic equation will be any use to me.

Absently, I steal a glance at the clock; only five minutes until lunchtime. The lesson is almost over, only for the dreadful experience to repeat again after a half hour break, this time in English class. How fun, another subject I have failing grades in — I'm nothing more than a failure.

My gaze drops to the desk below me as my depreciating thoughts engulf me. I'm hurting myself more than I'd like to admit, but... how can I argue when it's only the truth? My annual student report will back me up on that one, I'm almost certain.

At least I'm not the only one not paying attention.

A number of chattering voices drown out the explanations of the teacher, laughing and joking and gossiping. The girls in the corner are huddled around a small desk; one of them clearly has her phone shoved underneath the wooden surface, and her posse giggle as they swipe through the latest viral videos. The boys at the back are rowdy as usual; they yell rude things, they throw scrunched up pieces of paper, and most of all, they simply love the sound of their own voice, because they won't shut up.

Finally giving in, the teacher breathes out a sharp sigh before turning around and shooting the guys a deadly glare. "You lot have not stopped that nonsense since class started. How disrespectful can you be? I'm giving you all an after school detention; you'll receive the slip later." She then turned her attention to the girls in the corner, that same expression staining her face. "Mayu, put that phone away! Mobile phones are not permitted during class time!"

Only paying half attention, I find myself tracing shapes on the wooden desk with the tip of my finger, unfazed by the commotion; that is, at least, until I hear my name.

"Miku, pay attention!" The teacher snaps, causing me to jump a mile. Immediately, I lift my head from my palm and shuffle into an upright position, my heart rate increasing, eyes wide. I can feel the burning gazes of my peers as they turn to face me; why the fuck can't I just be invisible?

"Y-yes," I stutter, biting my lip and clenching my fists under the table. "I'm sorry." The apology is rushed, and I flush as she shakes her head before turning back to the whiteboard, ready to proceed.

"As I was saying—"

Just at this moment, the piercing bell rings mercilessly, signalling the end of the lesson. The teacher huffs in frustration, though dismisses us immediately, seemingly wanting nothing less than to deal with us any longer. To be fair, I can't blame her. I wouldn't want to deal with me either.

Swiftly, I shove my books into my tattered school bag and fling the strap over my shoulder before dashing out of the classroom and into the corridor, fighting my way through the unruly crowd of teenagers.

Rin and I always meet up by the fountain in the courtyard. Sadly, we don't have awfully many lessons together — having my best friend with me would save me from an awful lot of near breakdowns, but I guess I can't be too reliant.