The first day

"Wow, what a dump!" Spike yelled, striding wistfully into my room.

"Do you really sleep here?!"

I gasped, deeply offended by his sudden statement.

"It's not that bad," I retorted, blushing heavily.

"Are you kidding me? I've seen better rooms in an orphanage for blind kids," He stated, placing himself onto my bed.

"It's creepy that you can make that comparison," I smirked. He grinned at me, exposing perfect white teeth and causing me to blush. He kicked off his shoes, sinking farther into the thick covers.

"I would prefer it if you could avoid from such volatile behaviour whilst in the bedroom," I had a feeling this wasn't the first time he's heard that.

"Oh, I must apologise. I never intended to offend a princess such as yourself," A familiar smirk appeared on his lips.

"I am not a princess!" I stamped my foot on the ground in anger. "Don't call me that!" He rose off of the bed and walked towards me. He stopped metres away from my face, his warm breath gave me butterflies as his tall frame lingered over me.

"Whatever, princess," His voice was low and sent chills down my spine. Spikes broad shoulders brushed past me as he walked away, leaving me a bright shade of red.

"You're so cute when you blush," He smiled again, still eyeing me as he collected his shoes from the floor. I felt my cheeks heat up again, deciding to quickly look away. I knew he was a player, yet I still felt so drawn to his charm.

-

That night, I was sleepless. The morning seemed to come so unexpectedly. I found it rather hard to sleep knowing that Spike lay on a mattress set at the foot of my bed. My alarm rung loudly, reminding me to get out of my bed and prepare for school. I collected a large pillow from under my head and threw it at Spike to wake him up. He sprang up quickly, his bright eyes immediately darting to me. I must have looked like a mess. My hair was a deep shade of red and fell in curls which framed my pale face. My eyes were a dark green with faint specks of gold and my lips plump and full. I had no need for makeup as my skin was clear, my eyelashes naturally long and I rarely got bags under my eyes. However, the morning light was highly unflattering to my hourglass figure and caused my hair to appear a shade lighter than it naturally was, so I was highly self-conscious of my current appearance. Spike groaned, rubbing those dreamy eyes of his.

"Morning, princess," Spike twisted his mouth into it's usual smirk.

"Get up. If you make me late, I'll slap you," I glared, climbing out onto the cold floorboards.

"Calm down, I'm getting up. You're moody in the mornings," He groaned.

"And you're an arrogant ass in the mornings," I replied.

"Quit flirting with me," He grinned, rising from his mattress.

-

"Hey, Esmy!" a feminine voice chirped from behind me. I turned to see my best friend Duffy. She stood out in the hallway of tired teens. Duffy was constantly a hyperactive ball of energy. She was shorter than me, and her hair was a shade of orange so fluorescent it assured that she would be easily spotted in any crowd. She wore matching purple eyeshadow and lipstick and a combination of clothes which closely resembled an Oompa Loompa. Duffy had dated almost every male specimen in our school and was constantly on the prowl for a new beau.

"I tried calling you last night but you were totally M.I.A. What were you doing?" She questioned.

I began to answer but was quickly interrupted by a high pitched noise which erupted from my friend's purple lips.

"New man candy!" She squealed. I followed her gaze to see that she was speaking about my new room mate, Spike.

"Ew. No." I turned away, implying that she should do the same.

"What? He is so cute! I can't wait to sink my teeth into that hot piece of meat!" I rolled my eyes.

"He's actually a total annoyance," I mumbled, causing Duffy's jaw to drop.

"And how would you know? You haven't made contact with a boy for months," She teased.

"Because I have to share a room with him," Duffy's eyes narrowed. She was obviously skeptical.

Our conversation was cut short by the harsh drone of the bell which alerted us that we needed to be in class.

"This isn't over," Duffy assured me, running quickly down the hall.