Midnight Fight

After a long day at the Hospital, I was relieved to get home. Jace had simply broken his ankle and would be walking on crutches for a few months.

I woke at midnight to the sound of Spike sneaking into my room. I hadn't realised that he had been at Duffy's place since the two met earlier. I groaned, making him aware that I was awake.

"Why are you home so late?" I whispered to him as he prepared for bed.

"I was with Duffy," He grinned. The reminder that the two had spend so much alone time together angered me.

"Did you have fun?" I angrily spat.

"It was great. She's so cute," He replied. "What were you doing this afternoon?" He asked me, trying to make midnight small talk.

"Oh, not much. Just had to take my younger brother to the HOSPITAL BECAUSE HE BROKE HIS DAMN ANKLE. NOT THAT YOU WOULD CARE, SINCE ALL YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS HOW PERFECT DUFFY IS!!" I yelled, my anger bubbling over.

"CALM DOWN, PRINCESS" He yelled in reply. "WHY DO YOU CARE IF I LIKE HER OR NOT?"

"BECAUSE SHE'S MY FRIEND AND I KNOW THAT YOU'RE A PLAYER" I lied.

"DON'T ACT LIKE YOU KNOW ME SO WELL. I'M NOT THE BAD BOY THAT EVERYBODY THINKS I AM. MAYBE IF YOU STOPPED HATING ME AND GOT TO KNOW ME, YOU WOULD REALISE THAT,"

I was silent. I hadn't expected this sudden outburst from Spike, nor had i ever thought that there was more to him than his bad boy reputation.

"I'm sorry Spike, I hadn't..." I started, but was interrupted by Spike.

"Whatever, princess," He stated in a malicious tone before leaving the room.

I felt terrible. Spike had looked hurt and offended by what was said. I wanted to apologise yet knew that he wouldn't want to hear it.

-

That morning, I was worried when I didn't see Spike on his mattress. I had hoped that he snuck back into the room whilst I slept. A deep feeling of regret and fear hit me. I was worried that perhaps Spike had been hurt last night after he left and hoped greatly that I would see him at school again today.

When I arrived at school, I was overwhelmed with excitement to see Spike walking the halls. I ran to him and, without thought, wrapped my arms around his strong frame. Burying my head in his shoulders, I mumble how grateful I was that he was safe. As I went to pull my body away, I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist. After minutes had passed, Spike pulled away and continued walking to his next class, without a word exchanged between us.

I arrived at my locker to find a less than happy Duffy waiting for me. It was a rare occasion to see Duffy without a grin plastered across her face, so I was surprised to find her frowning at me, her hands folded across her chest.

"I saw that," She angrily stated.

"Saw what?" I questioned innocently.

"Don't play dumb with me, Esmerelda. I saw what you just did with Spike," Her eyes narrowed to a glare.

"What do you mean? It was just a hug," I said defensively.

"Oh please. Everybody knows that a hug is basically a public dry hump,"

"I think you're hugging wrong..."

"Don't be clever. You knew that I liked him, yet you hugged him anyway. I honestly feel so attacked right now," Before I could explain myself, Duffy had left.