Chapter 3 Struggle and Darkness

A disturbed sleep. And a nightmare.

I jolt out of my bed. I feel the temperature come down by every passing minute. My body is numb and frozen. I shiver.

Death is standing next to me, leaning on to the darkness, holding a small candle. He comes closer. I see his blood dripping on to my bed. A chill runs through my spine when I realise that this blood filled my mattress yesterday.

"Good morning Sierra Young. This must be your first sun-less morning. Dont worry, you will get accustomed to it." He paused. His expression changes. "If you want to stay in here.."

His footsteps reverberate in the silence. He seated himself on a chair invisible to my eyes. His hollow sockets burn into my eyes. Horror radiating from his body makes me dig my nails into my skin. I notice only then how long and sharp my nails have become.

"Life and I.  When the living dies, we meet for a moment. Then she goes into the soul of a newborn. We know that if we unite forever, the world will cease to exist."

I sat in silence, for I did not want to bring the terrible fluid back into my mouth. Death scratched his face with his sharp nails, leaving a deep wound. Blood oozes out.

There was a noise. Someone was talking. Death smiled.

"That is your mother." He said.

I felt peace for the first time since I have reached in this dark world as I tried to listen to her. I could hear her sobbing.

"Sierra..." She said.

I wanted to reply to her. Tears filled my eyes.

"Please wake up dear. For me." 

A warm hand touched my skin. I wanted to wrap my whole body around it.

......No matter where you are, no matter what you become, remember that I love you. I will always be there for you, sweetheart.....

"You want to meet her, don't you?" Death asked me, rocking in his chair. "Do you want to struggle or remain in this darkness? "

I felt a battle rising in my mind. I couldn't reply.

______________________

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed. Please vote and comment to let me know if you liked it(or did not).

Happy Sunday!

Cagedbird229