Chapter 6 Future and Life

A white smoke. Then tears.

"Making you cry is easier than I thought." Fate said "Looks like you have failed Stage 1. Let us move on to Stage 2. Future."

A thick smoke engulfs us again. But this time, it is black.
I stand next to a black stone. A chill goes through my spine when I realise that it is my grave. My name is written in bold white letters with R.I.P. next to it.

Rest in peace. I have forgotten what peace is.

"Let us see what people around you do just one week after your real death." Fate said.

We arrive in the living room of my house. The place I grew up. The place that made me myself.
I see my mom talking, laughing and enjoying her time with her sisters. Not even once did they mention my name. They all seemed happy. It was as though I did not exist at all as though there was never a Sierra in their life. Realisation hurts me.

I was forgotten.

Fate takes me to a restaurant. The place has a light music playing in the background, with a romantic aura around it. She took me to a table where a couple were sitting. I recognised that it was my best friend and her boyfriend.

He reached for his pocket and took out a small ring. Standing on his knee, he asked her, "Will you marry me, Ann?"

I saw the excitement and happiness in her face. "Yes!" She said.

My name did not come up even once in their long conversation. A tear rolled down my cheeks. From the time we had become friends, we had an unbreakable bond between us. She must be the only person for whom I cared so much. She had been with me like my shadow, and I stayed with her like a shade. All the moments we shared, all the days we have laughed, cries and shared pain, She forgot everything. The pain was unbearable.

Fate takes me into a smaller house. A boy is sitting by his desk and decorating his book. I recognised the boy. He was the one who came behind me for one whole day to get an autograph on a day I was busy.

A girl enters the room. The similarity in their faces suggest that they are siblings.

"What are you doing?" She demanded.

"Can't you see? I will get an autograph from an actor tomorrow."

"Didn't you get one from... what was her name?" She thought for a moment. "Ah! Sierra Young.  Didn't you get one from her?"

"She is dead, Liz. Who wants the autograph of a dead woman? I threw it in the dustbin yesterday."

His words stabbed into my heart, making my wounds bigger. Black smoke covers me again. I am bought back to the sea.

Fate stare at me, her eyes turning bright red. I cough.

"You can speak now, Sierra Young." She paused. "No one cares about you.  Everyone will have a peaceful life without you. You are as insignificant as any other person in this earth. The world will forget you, Sierra Young. Continuing to live on earth won't make it any better. Do you still want to live?"

My answer would have been yes if she had not shown me my future. But now... do I really want to live?

I thought about my mom, my best friend and the boy. My person closest to me, the person I have cared for the most, my fans.... everyone abandoned me. Should I live?

Silence stayed between us for a long time. Finally, I replied, "Yes. I do."

Fate was surprised. "Why, Sierra?"

"Death and you have taught me that there is always an 'other side'. It is me who will be forgotten after my death, not my words. I want to live, to create immortal words and create an impact on people's lives. My words will not abandon me. My name always stays with the words I have written."

Fate smiled. "You have earned your life , Sierra. You have passed Stage 1 and 2 successfully."

Something confused me. "B-but didn't I cry?"

"Beasts do not cry, humans do."

That was the last I heard from Fate. I remember nothing after that.  There is a moment of unconsciousness .

I open my eyes.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Just one more chapter left. I'm updating both of them together. I'm  not making the author's note lengthy. There is a longer one in the next chapter.

Vote and comment to keep me going!

Cagedbird229.