Ten

"Was that Asher Klein talking to you?" He asks. 

"Yes?" I say. "Why do you care?" 

"Why do you keep hanging out with Davis's crew? What aren't you telling me?" He inquires. We begin walking to the jeep.

"Nothing Brandon, Asher is my friend. Is that a problem?" I ask getting annoyed.

"He's almost worse than Liam, who do you think arranges the fights and drug deals?" Brandon spits. Getting into the car.

Asher does what?!

"What do you mean?" I pale, standing outside the jeep.

"Rich sonofabitch," he scoffs "Where do you think he gets the money from?"

I won't believe anything Asher doesn't tell me himself, he may very well be doing this to pay for Audrey Rose without his parents finding out... Not that it's okay. Brandon doesn't know the whole picture.

"Get in." Brandon says. I do and we start to drive. His gasps, his whole demeanor changes and he almost swerves into the lane next to us.

"Oh my God! Evie, are you in trouble with them or something? Please tell me you aren't doing drugs, do you have any idea what that would do to your neurochemistry?" 

"What? No Brandon! I'm just friends with him. I like being his friend, so until something happens that's what I'll continue being." I respond. He had to mention it, how fucked up I am.  And to think I was having a good day until now. 

"Please be careful, Evie." He surrenders. We pull into the drive and I give him a hug. 

"I will." 

We get out of the car and head inside. At least I got away with skipping my pills and school this morning. I hang my coat and backpack up in the mudroom and turn to head upstairs. 

"Evangelina Marie Walker! You have a lot of explaining to do!" My mom shrieks from the kitchen. Brandon gives me a 'what did you do?' look before leaving me to face the beast. 

I walk into the kitchen and am met with my mother's hysterical face. She's holding my medicine container in one hand, the little Monday category obviously still has both blue pills inside. In the other hand she hold a plastic bag labeled PM Refills, the ones that go into my locker in case I forget the morning ones like today and if I stay after school to watch practice. It is suddenly quite obvious that I didn't take my medicine today. 

Guess I didn't get away with that.

"What were you thinking, Evie? I don't like it anymore than you, but you have to take you medicine. Remember what happened last month?" She cries. I feel bad, of course I remember, I had an attack and fell down the stairs. I touch a hand to the scar on my eyebrow.

"I'm sorry mom, I forgot." 

"You forgot? You can't forget, Evie! I'm sorry but you don't have that luxury. When I got back from work I found these!" She yells. I want her to quiet down so Brandon doesn't hear. "Imagine my surprise when I called the school for you and they said you weren't there!"

Didn't get away with that either...

"And both you and your brother had you're phones turned off! I spent my afternoon searching for you around town, I though you were dead somewhere! What if you'd had an attack and fallen, farther then a flight of stairs? What if you'd taken it into your head to drive somewhere and had had an accident? What if you'd died, Evie!" She sobs. I move to hug her.

"I'm sorry mom, I'm sorry! I hate that you worried, I left school and went to the mall with M-... a friend. Look I'll take it now!" I rush trying to stop her tears. I down two of the blue devils and smile at her. "See? I took them, everything's okay now!"

"Evie, this behavior isn't acceptable." She sobers, glancing behind me. " Your brother would agree."

I turn around. Brandon stands stoic on the stairs. He's heard.

"E, why didn't you tell me?" Brandon asks hurt. "I have extra pills with me, you know I do..."

"Did you purposefully not take them?" My mom gasps.

"What no!" How could she think that? "I'm not having this conversation anymore. I took them now, I'm fine. It won't happen again."

I turn and stomp up the stairs then, I throw myself onto my bed and cry. 

To think I'd had such a perfect day.