Thirty Seven

A week into winter break, we'd done all Liam promised. Our first real date was amazing. We'd gone to see the tree lighting downtown and then hit a local diner for dinner. We'd gotten all dressed up and at the end of the night, it even started snowing. Liam had come in to sip hot chocolate and casually meet my mom. She remembered him from the first night he brought me home and loved him right away.

Since that first date we've gone ice skating, shopping, sledding, and yesterday he even took me to the holiday market. Today, we're making Christmas cookies.

"You look ridiculous." I laugh at him from my perch on the counter. The only other apron was my mom's pink 'bitch' one that Brandon got her as a gag gift for her birthday.

"No, I look hot as fuck." He flashes a boyish grin and does a twirl.

"Okay, okay. Maybe a little hot." I agree.

"Oh? And did I mention totally kissable?" Liam stalks towards me.

"No I don't think you did," I reply softly. He's already between my legs.

He leans forward and captures my lips in a gentle kiss. He tastes like chocolate, which tells me he was sneaking peanut butter blossoms off the cookie sheet. I reach behind me and...

Liam stumbles back, shocked. A white hand print adorns his cheek and flour is all in his hair.

"I knew you were eating the cookies! Little thief," I smile.

"You're the thief, Princess. Stealing kisses, my heart, my love," He pretends to fan himself and dramatically reaches for the bag.

"Don't-" I'm blinded by the flour that's just been thrown in to my face. "Liam!"

"You two," My mom comes in shaking her head with a smile. "There's more flour on the floor than in those cookies!"

"We'll clean it up, Mom." I grin, dusting myself off. "Or maybe I'll watch while, Liam cleans it up."

"You will not, Evangelina!" She'd incredulous, then to Liam. "Don't worry, dear. I'll make sure she cleans up the mess. You'll stay for dinner won't you?"

"I'd love to," Liam says graciously.

All I can do is glance between them in disbelief. Mom loves Liam more than me! I grumble on my way to the broom. I guess I really am glad they get along, I'm even happier that Brandon and Liam are good friends now. 

Liam holds the dustpan for me while I sweep the flour into it and we wash the dishes together. Which may have resulted in the need to get the mop. An hour later, we're up in my room 'with the door open!'. He's playing with my hair and his phone while I rest my head on his chest, deep in thought.

"Liam?" I get his attention.

"Yeah, Princess?" He sits up bringing me with him.

"What are you going to do after high school?" He sucks in a breath.

"Um... I don't know. College I guess."

"I don't really know what I'm going to do either." I chuckle, "I hope whatever it is, I still get to have you around."

"Oh shit, you meant what are we going to do after high school." He runs a hand through his crazy hair. "I'll tell you that right now, you are my plan. Graduation is a long ways off so I'd rather not think about it, but I have no future without you, Evie."

He almost never calls me by my name. I'm really happy that he thinks we'll last until graduation. I turn my head slightly and kiss him. I mean it to be gentle but he lets out a little moan and I find myself tugging on his bottom lip.

"Gross, come down to dinner." Brandon gags in my doorway. Liam smiles and keeps kissing me, throwing a pillow at Brandon.

"Fuck off, Walker." Liam finally says. I push him off me and run down the stairs. Liam looks on with sad.

We get half-way through dinner easily until my mom asks Liam what he's doing for Christmas. He freezes beside me, thoughtful. I hadn't paid much attention until now, but Liam probably only has home cooked meals with us. And sitting at the table with my family is probably the closest he's had to a family dinner in a long time.

I grab his hand under the table, unsure of what else to do. He holds onto it like I'm his anchor.

"I usually spend Christmas with Sam and Ash. But Asher's parents are coming home for Christmas this year and Sam is spending it with Ollie's family. I guess I hadn't really thought about it," he answers. I didn't know Mr. and Mrs. Klein would be back in Somerset.

"Do you not spend Christmas with your family?" My mom prys. Brandon glances at me from across the table.

"Oh... I- I thought you knew already. I'm an orphan." Liam says sadly. I panic, I don't want him to be upset.

"Goodness, forgive me." Mom is mortified. "You're spending Christmas here then, of course."

"I really couldn't impose like that-,"

"Liam, you wouldn't be imposing. You'll spend Christmas with us and that's final. I'll tie you down to that chair if it means keeping you here till then." Brandon nods along with mom while she threatens Liam.

"Thank you," he gently lets go of my hand to finish his serving of potato soup.

When the night is done, I walk Liam to his motorcycle.

"I'm sorry for my mom, putting you on the spot and all," I apologize.

"I love your mom, don't worry about it. I'm glad I get to spend Christmas with you, Princess." He hugs me tightly before swinging onto his bike. His eyes are distant despite the smile he wears.

"I want to meet your mom," I blurt. Liam's eyes snap to me.

"What?"

"I-I want to say hi to your mom, introduce myself, and wish her merry Christmas. Will you take me to see her?" I mean her grave of course, though I sound a bit crazy the way I say it.

"I'd love for you to meet her." He softens. "Come here."

I hug him once again and pull him down for a kiss. I put all of me into it, I want him to know that he's not alone. In the back of my throat, a whisper floats unspoken.

I love you.