Thirty

"Hey." She says. 

I turn, she's caught me looking at her pictures and for some reason I feel guilty.

"Hey, Beautiful." I offer a nonchalant smile. 

She climbs up into the room and shuts the trapdoor. She's changed out of that sexy shirt and into some cute-ass pajamas. 

"What is this room?" I'm not sure if she's in the sharing mood, but I decide this is a neutral question.

"Excessive isn't it? When my dad left, my mom had it added on. It was a playroom when I was younger, I was home a lot. When I wasn't in the hospital that is.  Now it's kind of a hang space for my friends and I. We do movie nights every other week usually. This weekend after the Snow Ball everyone is crashing here. Camille is bringing Asher this week and if Ollie wants, Sam." She walks over to me putting an arm around my waist and looking at the pictures with me. 

She's shared a lot more than I thought she would. I love her even more for it.

"You're welcome to come this weekend too, if you'll still take me to the Ball that is." She adds, glancing up at me. 

"There's no girl I'd rather have." I bop her nose. I bop her nose. The action is surprisingly intimate. Her face splits into a wide grin.

We stand together for a bit in silence, just admiring the pictures. 

"Do you miss your dad?" I ask aloud. I internally cringe. Too soon. 

"Sometimes." Evie answes softly. "He left when things got tough though. I'd never forgive him for that." 

"I miss my dad all the time." I blurt out. 

"At least I still have my mom, I couldn't imagine," she sobers.

"I miss my mom the most," I admit. 

Over the next few hours we grow inexplicably closer. We've shared a bit with each other and it's just a feeling I get it the pit of my stomach, but Evie... she could be the one. We make our way to the couch and end up watching a few episodes of Friends. We laugh together and the sun dips lower in the sky. Tomorrow is Friday, even though we don't have school I'll have to go home. 

I don't want to leave yet. Evie has fallen asleep in my arms again and she looks so peaceful, but I know I have to go. 

I gently slip out from under her and pad over to the trapdoor. I should leave a note or something. An idea comes to me and I act on it, then I take in the room once more and descend down the stairs to her bedroom below. I slip my shoes on and glance at the ceiling one last time before sliding the window open and jumping out.

I go down the ladder and emerge from the side of the house, the sunset colors are almost gone and the moon is high in the sky. Brandon waits for me on the front step.

I left my bike in the driveway. 

Shit.

"You." He seethes, standing up and approaching me. "I knew that was your bike."

"Chill, Walker." I put my hands up. 

"Why are you sneaking out of my little sister's room?" He barks.

"Because it's late and I want to go home?" I reply sarcastically.

He punches me. 

I deserved that.

"Okay, okay." I grab my face. "I don't want to fight with you man." 

"Then stop seeing my sister, she isn't some girl you can just toy with like the others Davis. I'm serious."

"I'm not toying with her Brandon." I say. His eyes widen in shock. "I like her, a lot. She's different." 

"I could have told you she was different." He says skeptically.

"I won't hurt her, not on purpose." I look him in the eye.

He looks at me for a minute, trying to decide if I'm telling the truth. 

"Things have a way of going bad around you, whether you want them to or not Liam." He's not wrong.

"I'll keep her as far from that part of my life as possible." I offer.

"Don't be dumb, Liam. Don't hurt her." He sighs. 

I nod at him and he goes back inside.

I hop onto my motorcycle and shake my head. We reached an understanding. Me and Walker. Who would've thought.

I drive home and think of her. I have no idea what color her dress is, but if I just wear a black button up and maybe some suspenders then I'll match her. The story is too perfect.

I'm taking the Princess to the Ball.