Chapter 11: And we wait . . .

57 

Shannon had told Drakken everything now. 

Hego was also sending text warnings of, 'If you don't tell Kim then I will.' 

There was about four hours until sunset. Shannon was nervous as hell. If this was going to happen then she needed some help. Shannon decided to dress up, which was rare for her. A black dress with tiny little silver stars on it and silver heels. She was on her way to meet up with Kim. 

Drakken was going to call Kim and tell her  to meet up with him for dinner. Instead it would be Shannon showing up. Shannon turned on her left turning signal and turned when the light turned green. She was so nervous and excited at the same time. She came to another left turn and was half way through when a car slammed into her passenger side. 

She screamed as her car flipped over twice before landing on its back. She was out cold and barely alive. 

It was five minutes before the ambulance came to help with the scene. 

"We have a female with multiple injuries. She breathing, but her pulse is weak." One of the female EMT'S told her younger male partner. They loaded Shannon up and into the ambulance and sped off with lights going and emergency warnings loudly going off. 

58

The female, a young nineteen year old was badly hurt in the crash. She'd been arguing with her mother on the phone. "I'm okay! Just let me walk home!" She blurted out to the EMT'S that were treating her. It was a miracle she was alive. 

"Caroline Walltzer." The older black man, Greg, said to her. "You're going to the hospital." 

Caroline didn't realize how badly she was hurt. There were cuts, and bleeding from her face and forehead. 

"Will people EVER learn it's not safe to be on their phones when driving?" Arisa said Greg. 

Greg sadly shook his head. "Painfully doubtful. Let's get going." 

Shannon was in the ER. 

"Call her closest of kin ASAP." Dr. Pomeja said to a nurse. She was a young 30 something mexican woman. "We might have to go to surgery." She said, and listened to the paramedics and other nurses saying what was wrong with Shannon. 

"Hello?" Mego said, answering Hego's phone while Hego went to the restroom. 

Nurse Janet Veet calmly said, "Sir, your sister is in Middleton Hospital. Can you please come right away?" 

59

As soon as Hego came back he looked at Mego and could tell something was wrong. 

Mego's jaw quivered in sadness, "Shannon's been in a car accident." 

Together they left for the hospial. 

Kim checked the time on her phone. She wondered where Drakken was he was supposed to be meeting her in the next ten minutes at Swixx, the hottest new multi-cultural resturant in town. 

Those minutes passed quickly and then her phone rang. "Hello?" She said. 

"Kim, I need you to come to Middleton Hospital. It's urgent. Come to the ER." Hego said and hung up. 

Kim felt panicked, but ran to her car and hurried to get to the hospital. 

Her eyes darted around the emergency room for Hego. She saw Mego instead. "Mego!" 

His sad eyes looked into hers. "It's Shannon." He simply said. 

Kim felt a slight bit of relief. "What's wrong? Who found her? What happened?" 

60

Mego took in a breath to calmly say, "Kim, she's been in a car accident. She was coming to see you tonight. She was going  to tell you that she loves you. She thinks she doesn't have a chance with you at all. Now she's about to have surgery to repair the damage inside of her." 

Caroline stomped out from behind closed doors. "Dad, stop lecturing me. That lady was in my lane!" 

"Care-Bear, the light was green for her not you!" He yelled back. 

Kim and Mego turned to see the blonde headed girl with red tipped hair. She looked like she'd be working in the newer version of Forever21, which was renamed 20+Infinity these days. 

"Whatever." She bitched at her father.

 Kim was over to her like a lightning bolt. "Whatever? Seriously? You almost killed the woman I love!" She screamed. 

The girl soured her face and said, "Move out of my way!" 

Kim grabbed her by the arm. "You're not even the slightest bit sorry are you?" 

"Miss, I am," The father said to Kim. "Very, truly sorry for what happened." 

"Daddy just throw some money at her and let's go." The little rich byotch said. 

61 

"Keep your money." Mego said to Caroline. "My sister is worth more than that." 

Kim was saying all the curse words she knew as the girl and her father left the ER. 

Hego had witnessed the last part of all of this. "Kim," He said getting her attention. "They told me the surgery is going to take a while. We can wait here or somewhere else." 

Kim began to cry. She grabbed Hego and clung to him for dear life. Hego wrapped Kim in his arms and held onto her too. 

Hego decided to tell Kim the truth. "I know you're about to hate me, but I've known for a long time that Shannon was alive." 

Kim pulled back, her face wet and red from crying. "What?" She barked out then looked at Mego. "What about you?" 

Mego shook his head. "I just found out I swear." 

Kim felt her anger rise. Hego shut his eyes and waited for the impact of her fist on his face. It didn't come and Hego slowly opened his eyes. Kim stood there staring at him in disgust. 

"All this time and you knew she was alive. I really don't like you right now." Kim said and walked to the other side of the waiting room and sat down. She wept openly in front of everyone around her.