Chapter 17: As silent as the night

87 

It felt tense and claustrophobic in the living room at Kim's apartment. Ron was staring at the floor, pouting. He'd been pro and conning everything about Shego for the last hour. 

Kim was exhausted from listening to him whine and complain. "We've had this conversation before. I love her, Ronald. I'm going to marry her. If you want to be there you can. If you don't want to come then that's your call. I just hope my best friend will be there." 

"And you understand if I'm a No-Show?" Ron said just loud enough for her to hear and avoided looking at her. 

Kim just stared down at him. How is this man having a child when he's acting like one? "Uh huh." She said and walked to the kitchen. She got out a stemless glass and a red wine to pour. 

Ron looked around, saw she was gone and got up. He listened and slowly walked to the kitchen area. He leaned against the frame of the opening and stuck his hands into his jean pockets. "Please don't be mad at me K.P. Just look at all of this through my eyes. She was our enemy first." 

Kim spun to give him narrowed eyes. "People change, Ron. I can see the difference in her. She's a better person now. I'm not saying if a large chunk of change was up for grabs that her and Drakken wouldn't go for it. I think her judgement is clearer these days. I believe she'd highly consider not thieving it." 

Ron shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, maybe." 

88

"If you want to go home you can. I'm not holding you hostage here." Kim said and sat down on a chair. 

Ron's laugh was odd. "Yeah, like I wanna go home to hormonal Marissa and her new cravings." He complained. 

"Deal with it. You're gonna be a father." Kim sipped her wine. 

Ron moved toward Kim and looked deep into her green eyes, "What if I've changed my mind?" 

Kim made a gasping sound and her jaw dropped open. Then she shouted, "If you leave her and that child, Ron, I'll never forgive you!" 

Ron backed up and grimaced in anger, "You're on Marissa's side now?" 

"How can you even think of leaving her and for who  . . . Josh Mankey?" Kim laughed to herself in a non-humorous way. 

"I'm not gay, Kim. I haven't seen Josh in months. I think he moved anyway." Ron said. "I just don't feel ready for this new part of my life." 

"Tell her that and work through it. Couples counselling perhaps?"  

89

Ron left, but he didn't feel like going home yet. Instead he went to Pizza Hut to eat and be alone for a while longer. 

A few hurried knocks came to Kim's door. She thought it was Ron again, but it wasn't. The door opened and Joss was standing there. 

"Hey, cousin!" Joss happily said and hugged Kim to her. "So glad I could come here for a few weeks! My momma is watching Day for me." 

Kim pulled out of the hug. "That's good. I'm happy you're here too! I'll call Shannon and we can go somewhere. And we can talk about the wedding and stuff."

Shannon was uh-huh-ing every other thing that came out of Joss's mouth. Will she ever shut up? She annoyingly thought. Joss was going on and on about living up North and having a baby so young. 

Kim kept nodding and trying to throw some words inbetween what Joss was saying. She felt bad for Shannon, whom obviously was over all of this. "Okay!" She finally said loudly. "How about we go shopping, Joss? Shannon has some errands that she has to do."