The Roselle Family

It was chilly for a summer day. At least, that's what her fellow co-workers told her. Amaryl paused for a brief second, surprised they made conversation with her, only to nod so they could move on from the topic.

Amaryl hopes they didn't take offense with her behaviour. She was always been a listener than a talker. She was taught to be considerate, to observe.
The act of exchanging words was hard when most people don't have the patience to decipher her wordings.

Despite being told she was getting better at it; Amaryl doesn't dare to tilt the scale.

She sighed and eyes upwards, watching as a blue bird soars freely across the sky. She felt a slight envy towards it. Amaryl wonders if flying to birds feels the same as walking to people. Then again, birds could fly and walk.

And people could shoot it down with ease.

"Amaryl dearie, could you help carrying the basket for me?"

Her eyes shift to the voice with a slight turn and a sound of affirmative, Amaryl carried out the request.

×

Carrying, holding and aiding.

Those were the only few tasks she was given throughout the first week since she started working for the Roselle Family.

Amaryl argued she could do more despite her short figure and weak limbs, but the older servants shook their heads and told her to take it easy. She tried, oh she really did try but it was hard when people keep hovering her on the do's and don'ts even though she was also a worker, not the employer.

Of course, this had nothing to do with the recent incident of her saving the young mistress from losing her life.

Nope. Nothing at all.

×

While wandering throughout the woods, Amaryl stumbled across the mansion's garden and saw two children with a lady beside them. Her eyes widen when one of the children made a ball of fire suddenly appeared out of thin air and floating above their hand.

Amazed by the rare occurrence, Amaryl didn't sense the person presence and froze when a hand touches her shoulders before finding herself being dragged over to be reported.

She scolds herself for it. It was a clear sign she was on a person's territory. Only a fool would trespass without a permit and by the look of things, she's the fool here. Would they let go of her if she plead for innocent? Hardly.

The best course for now was to keep her head down and stay docile. Maybe they'll be leanin on her.

At the corner of her eyes were the children with the boy who made the fire appeared smugly bragging about his achievement. The girl huffed her cheeks and stomps her way towards them.

Amaryl narrowed her eyes as a flicker came from the boy's hand and before she knew it, her body moves as the boy misfired the fireball towards the girl's direction.

"Watch out!" She lunged forward.

The girl was saved, uninjured while instead Amaryl took the hit and fell unconscious. She woke up confused, with finding herself laid on a large, soft bed. She was served, dressed and fed before meeting with the master and madame. They thanked her for saving their daughter and said she could request anything as a reward.

Anything? It was tempting. A golden opportunity. Amaryl bowed her head low. "If it is alright with master and madame, I dare requested for a job. A maid is sufficient enough."

And with a snap, her request was granted. A live-in job on the second day of wandering.

Amaryl could hardly believe it. It was a dream come true.

×

Her life in the Roselle mansion was a peaceful one. While certain details were annoying, Amaryl settled herself in a daily routine she finds comforting to do. Still, there's a small part of her that can't help but to chalk her tranquil life, only as an illusion or a dream.

"How are you settling in, Amaryl?"

The girl turns to see the madame and made a curtsy. "Good evening, madame. This one is settling in just fine; I thank for madame's kindness and generosity for taking on this one's selfish request."

"My." She covered her smile with her fan. "There's no need for such formalities, dear. It's the least I could do. Granting you a maid's job is far insignificant to your actions of saving my dearest daughter."

Amaryl denies. "You praised be too much, madame. It was only because I was at the right time and place. I'm sure madam Grace would protect the young mistress far better than I did."

Yet strangely, the madame stayed firm. "The fact remains being you, as the one who saved my daughter. I thanked you for that."

"And I am eternally grateful for the kindness you have showered me for it."

The woman pleasantly smiles and bid Amaryl off to attend her duties.

The Roselle's were a kind family, treating her as like despite their difference in status. Whether or not her experience would later reveal to be only a dream of hers then, Amaryl will cherish the moment before it ends.

×

"Is there something the matter, Miss Marla?" She inquired the head maid. The older woman had that troubled-look for some time now and to influence the head like that means it's not a simple issue a child could fix.

Though, they can't say she didn't try.

Miss Marla expression soften, evidently touched and apologise to make her worry. "One of milady's friend had gotten lost during their game of tag. I already informed the guards, so there's no need for you to busy yourself with this, Sweetie. Now run along and don't get lost!" She shooed her away, leaving Amaryl to her thoughts.

A friend of milady's? None of the servants have children. Then it shortens the list to guest with similar age as milady and perhaps, the same gender also. It's rare to have young guest, not older than around early -twenties so it's easy to cross out the suspect. As far as she knows, the only person who fits the description was her.

Hm... There was that one person she bumped into this afternoon. She couldn't get a good look on the kid, but that girl might be the one.

Amaryl turns to inform her deduction but saw a guard calling for the head maid. She was watched from a distance and from the looks of it, they were able to find the missing person without haste.

That's good. She bobs a curtsy towards their directions and went off just as the first evening bell had chime, indicating her break was over.

With the minimal work she was given, Amaryl must up her game to measure up to the servant of the Roselle Family. There's no time to meddle things which weren't of any importance.

It was only later; Amaryl would curse herself for being a disgrace to her family's line. If only...

[Published: March 2019]
[Revised: 6 Oct 2019]