Letter 42- Miss Kissing You

Dear God,

Cody's pissing me off.

He keeps stealing kisses.

Whenever I try to talk he kisses me.

When I confronted him about it,

He told me he was making up for lost time.

He said that he could've kissed me a lot earlier than he did.

He didn't say what we were both thinking.

That he was kissing me so much because he wouldn't get the chance later in life.

When he left, I cried.

Because I would miss kissing him.

Love,

Peyton

Peyton’s P.O.V.

I blearily open my eyes to see Cody sitting in his usual spot next to me, smiling slightly.

“Good afternoon, sleepyhead,” he greets me.

“Afternoon,” I yawn. “How long have you been here?”

“Since ten,” Cody answers.

  “That’s when visiting hours first started,” I note, sitting up slowly, bring a hand to my mouth to stifle my yawns.

Cody half-smiles. “I know.”

“You could have woken me up,” I say, feeling slightly disgruntled that he watched me sleep. For all I know, he probably saw me drooling and moaning in my sleep.

“I like letting you sleep,” Cody says softly. “You look so peaceful.”

I don’t have an answer to this, so I simply snuggle into the comforter on my hospital bed and close my eyes. I don’t know why, but I’m so tired today.

“Are you seriously going back to bed?” Cody asks, amused.

“Yes,” I say as defiantly as I could while burying my face into my pillow. “’M’tired.”

“I can see that,” Cody says drily, but he lets me sleep.

In about an hour, I wake up again to find Cody holding my hand, the one without an IV and eyes closed. I sit up slowly, trying not to wake him up, but his eyes shoot open and he smiles at me before kissing me quickly.

“Well hello to you too,” I say, slightly startled by the quick kiss.

“Just happy to see you,” Cody smiles.

“So m’I, but I’m not about to go kiss people,” I say.

Cody shrugs before kissing me again, this time for a little longer. I close my eyes and just as I’m about to kiss him back, he pulls away, laughing slightly at the expression on my face.

We talk for a little bit, but every time I try to talk, or tell a story, Cody kisses me briefly, not even long enough to be a real kiss, but too long to be a peck, and sufficiently cutting me off. At first, it’s kind of endearing, but after at least the tenth time of him doing this, I decide to say something.

“Cody, stop kissing me!” I exclaim.

Cody leans back in his chair, raising an eyebrow. “You don’t want me to kiss you?”

“No!” I say, trying to find the right words. “I want you to, well, not stop kissing me, but stop kissing me every time I try to talk! Why are you even doing that?”

“M’making up for lost time,” Cody says lightly, but some heavier emotion flickers in his eyes.  “I could have kissed you a lot earlier than I did.”

I let it go, but somewhere deep inside me, I know his real reason. One day, one day soon, Cody’s not going to be able to kiss me anymore. Something in Cody’s expression makes me believe that I’m right with this reasoning.

Cody checks the time. “I gotta go,” he whispers.

I frown. “Already?”

“We slept most of the day away,” Cody laughs and kisses me. “See you tomorrow, Peyton.”

“See you tomorrow,” I answer, just waiting for my door to close and leave me in solitude.

Cody leaves and I finally let the tears in my eyes fall and I cry, because I know that Cody is kissing me so much to make up for a lifetime of kisses that he should have gotten from me, and because I will miss kissing him, probably more than I would miss living.

______________________________________________________________

cover by @anditschaotic