XXV

Lucy put the final touches on Samantha's hair as Francesca added lip gloss to her already lined and colored lips.

"Fran, I hope you used waterproof makeup. You know we are all going to cry buckets. We're women. It's what we do." Lucy smirked at her friends. Samantha had been weepy for days. Lucy had her own ideas about that, but she kept it to herself.

"Now you know I am not the crying type, Lucy." Francesca replied.

"Yeah, right. Tell that to someone who hasn't been to the last five weddings with you for the club. The minute you have a seat, the waterworks start. Today will be especially bad because Samantha is a close friend of ours." Lucy snarked back.

"Guys, please. This is not helping. I'm so nervous that I think I'm gonna puke." Samantha said, fanning herself.

"No you're not. That's the baby making you nauseous." Francesca said distractedly.

"Baby! What baby! Isabella doesn't make me nervous, or nauseous. Fran, what are you talking about?" Samantha looked from one woman to another, and instantly noticed the closed off look that was on Lucy's face.

"Uh huh. I'm sorry, Sam. I wasn't supposed to say anything. You were supposed to figure it out yourself." Francesca said.

Samantha sat there quietly, doing math. Then as she did that, she realized that she and Drake had not used any contraceptives, at all. In the two months that they had been intimate, they had been careless about using protection. Both figured that it just wouldn't happen. On her side, because in all of the years that she and Mack had been married, she had only gotten pregnant once. Drake said that he had always been careful, but was sure that there had been a number of times that he had been careless, but no babies.

Samantha felt tears well up as she began to put two and two together. Her moodiness and the crying at the drop of a hat, the increased appetite, wanting to sleep more. It all made perfect sense. She felt an enormous smile overtake her face as she realized what was going on. She was pregnant. With Drake's baby. She wanted to shout. She wanted to cry. She wanted to run and tell Drake. Drake.How was he going to handle the news that he was going to be a daddy? Again. They had already started adoption proceedings for Isabella. Now, they were going to have another. Samantha did some more quick math and realized that she was just about six weeks along. Right after her injury. She remembered that night.

Drake had made it so special for her. The doctor had released her for sexual activity. "But take it easy on that shoulder, Sam. Don't undo all of my good work." Dr. Harrington had smirked when he had told her that.

Drake had fixed them dinner. He had out done himself. He had grilled salmon to perfection, along with asparagus and roasted sweet potato with cinnamon butter. For dessert, he had gone by her favorite Italian restaurant and bought several servings of tiramisu. He had plied her with wine and food. Then he had played soft music and they had danced on his deck. As they danced, he had slowly undressed her, kissing everywhere he uncovered, before lifting her and gently placing her in the hot tub. While in there, they had made love. Drake had merely lifted her and set her in his lap and lowered her onto himself. It had been one of the most beautiful lovemaking sessions she could ever recall.

Suddenly aware of someone snapping their fingers in her face, Samantha looked up at her two best friends and smiled. "I can't wait to tell him. I know just the time, too." 

"Give it up, Chica. When?" Francesca demanded, laughing.

"Tonight, when we reach our hotel in the Caribbean." Samantha imagined Drake's surprise as she told him the news. Then, a thought hit her. "What if he doesn't want anymore? What am I going to do?" Samantha wailed.