safe place

TRIGGER WARNING: suicide/self-harm themes, even though not clearly mentioned. If this triggers anyone, I'm genuinely sorry, I would never mean for that to happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There she stood.

In front of her bedroom mirror.

For the 4th time this week.

Same issue. She was crying.

She looked at herself. Pain in her eyes. Her red eyes. Red from crying.

She hated herself. She never knew why exactly. But she did.

She looked up at herself in the mirror one more time, and broke down, falling to the floor. The floor had begun to be her safe place by now. She laid there, crying her eyes out.

Cries are meant to be loud... right? Cries are supposed to attract attention, so that someone can help you in your time of need. Cries are meant to be loud, right?

Her cries were silent.

Tears streamed from her eyes, down her cheeks, onto the floor. Her breathing was shallow, the lack of breathing steadily finally getting to her. Her mouth was open, gasping for air.

But no sound came out.

She didn't want anyone to come save her. Her chest was tight, her head aching, her stomach in a knot. Crumpled up in a ball, she lay there, unable to move.

She continued to cry. In one moment, she let a slight cry come from her mouth. She immediately brought her hand up, closing it on her mouth, not allowing for any more sounds to come from her.

~

Sean walked up to her house, excited to see again, even though he saw her just yesterday. Kylie saw him at the door, and before he even got the chance to knock, she opened the door.

"Hey little bro! Long time no see." She laughed, obvious sarcasm clearly showing.

"Haha love ya Ky!" He said, hugging his girlfriend's sister. They were all like family at this point to him, to the point where Kaycee's family was probably getting annoyed with him being over all the time. Nah, they loved him.

"I think she's upstairs, she said she's gonna take a quick nap, but that was like an hour ago. She should be up by now." Kylie said with a smirk, walking away to the kitchen.

He made his way up the stairs, excited as hell to see his girl again. He loved her so much, even being away from her for more than 8 hours was too much for him. He tried to open her door, but it wouldn't budge. It was locked, which was unusual for Kaycee. She had an open door policy with her siblings, which was annoying in some cases, since they've caught them on more than one occasion. He tried to twist it open again, thinking maybe he's just all of a sudden weak. Again, no luck.

~

She didn't hear Sean trying to open her door. She was in the bathroom. Looking in her mirror again. She thought she had calmed down in the past half hour of laying on the floor. She knew Sean would be there any minute, and that she had to clean herself up, so that he didn't suspect anything. It's been working so far, makeup does magic.

But for some reason, today was different. When she was staring at herself in the bathroom mirror, she couldn't stop crying.

The same silent crying.

She began to hyperventilate, unable to get her breathing under control. Leaning her back against the wall, she slid her body down to the floor, the floor that was again, her safe place. She traced her fingers over her arms, feeling her scars from yesterday. She choked back her breath, her body shaking, her mind overwhelmed with emotions.

~

Sean's fans called him a genius. So he had to put those brains to use. He was lucky that the door could be unlocked from outside, even without an actual key. He just needed a spoon. He ran down, got a spoon from the kitchen, earning a questioning look from Kylie, then ran back up and unlocked the door. He walked in, and to his surprise didn't see his little angel anywhere. He looked around the room, and then saw that the bathroom door was slightly open. He smirked, thinking he'd surprise her in the shower. But the closer the got, the more he noticed how there wasn't any noise. This confused him, and he immediately opened the bathroom door.

What he saw was something he'd never forget.

His angel. His sunshine. His light.

Laying on the floor of the bathroom, clearly in pain, crying.

"Kayc..." he whispered, choking back his tears.

After being stunned for a second, he dropped right next to her on the floor, picking her up gently into a hug.

~

His hug is apparently what did it for her. She exploded, quite literally. Her cries became loud, she finally tried to breathe. Her grip around him tightened, her nails digging into his back. Tears rushed from her eyes, staining Sean's shirt. She shut her eyes, not wanting to open them, thinking she'd see the disappointment in his eyes.

Sean, however, wasn't thinking that. In fact, he wasn't thinking at all. He couldn't think straight. The sight of his sweet girl crying... it completely broke him. He rubbed his hand against her back, digging his face into her neck, giving her soft, loving kisses. He wanted to cry, to talk to her, to see what's wrong. He knew he couldn't. His one job at that moment was to comfort her, to make sure she didn't do anything regretful, to calm her down, to hold her in his arms.

His job was to be her safe place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yeah sry this doesn't end on a good note.

I've written a oneshot similar to this, but that one ended on a good-ish note. I wanted to see if i had it in me to let it end on a sad note.