Chapter 6- In Marriage part 2

Soft music, selfies, muffled waves of laughter, gossip, waiters serving juices; this was the marriage scene going on in a renowned marriage hall in Islamabad. 

On a couch, in a group of males, Sahir was sitting and being the gossip topic of those males. 

"Stop wasting your time on online work, Sahir. It is a childish thing to do. Invest your time and money in something beneficial and serious." 

His forty year old uncle was talking to him while taking sips of orange juice. 

Sahir maintained a smile on his face but inwardly, he was getting frustrated and anxious. 

"It has scope, Uncle. Also, it is my passion." 

"Stop wasting time, Sahir! This passion will not save you from the wave of inflation which is hitting our economy. Utilize this time in something productive." Another uncle said to him at which irritation took over his body. 

"Okay Uncle. I will start working on something else." 

The best way to conclude a conversation is to agree with another person when you see that he is in no mood to listen to you. 

"Saba, have you learned any house chores or just keep on learning this online work?"

In the same marriage hall, on the female side, Saba was sitting on the couch and was responding to aunties with patience. 

"Yeah, I cook on Sundays. My university is off that day so I can manage it." 

"We want a treat from you! After all, you have become an entrepreneur." One of her young cousins said with enthusiasm at which a smile stretched on her face. 

"Pray that she gives you a treat of her engagement soon." An aunt interrupted their conversation at which anger built in her being. 

"InshaAllah!" Another aunty said. 

"When are you going to marry him?" One uncle asked Sahir's father at which anger built in his being. 

"Soon, just pray for him." His father said with a smile while giving a glare at Sahir. It was an indication that this topic would be discussed at night. 

"Isn't female earnings haram in Islam, Samina?" 

In the female group, an aunty asked Saba's mother at which Saba took a deep sigh to calm her nerves. 

"No, aunty! It is not! Female empowerment is becoming imperative for our society. The divorce ratio, rape and violence ratio is increasing day by day. Because our females are not well educated or are not given opportunities to earn, they have to face violence. Tell me, can Islam allow violence, mistreatment or restricting a human from living?" 

Anger was in her tone now. She was getting extremely frustrated with all these questions now.

"Let me tell you, violence's main reason is females themselves. In our times, it was not as common because we accepted the authority of our males." Another aunty said. 

"But aunty, you should analyze today's man too. When you compare the men of your time with today's men, you will find the real reason for violence." She said and poured some water for her. Aunty gave a glare to her but didn't respond. 

Dinner started serving so every person's attention averted toward it. 

………………… 

"You shouldn't get aggressive with your aunty. Girls need to be humble." "You mean humans need to be humble." 

Saba was taking off her jewelry while her mother was sitting on her bed. 

"Your aunty was not saying that much wrong. I mean this freelancing work can affect your eyesight, you have to use glasses and glasses will make you ugly."