Chapter 26-Distance

Someone greeted Sahir so she turned around to see a couple standing there. Giving them a formal smile, her gaze slid toward Sahir whose face was expressionless, and his body was slow to turn around.

Gazing at the couple in front of him, nausea clawed in his throat, and flashes of the past rippled in his orbs. 

"Walaikum Assalam, Mr. and Mrs. Haseeb!"

Zahra nervously squirmed at his reply but tried to keep a formal smile on her face.

"Long time! And…. Who is she?"

Haseeb asked while gliding his orbs toward Saba on whom Zahra's gaze was fixed.

"Saba, My wife." He replied while gazing at Zahra where shock whipped across her expression.

"And Saba, they are my class fellows in university, Haseeb and Zahra."

"Nice to meet you." She said with excitement laced in her tone and stepped forward to shake her hand with Zahra who shook the hand with a formal smile.

"It has been a long time, Sahir. I was always looking for you at parties. You also do not show up in our marriage. "

Haseeb said with a smirk.

"I was busy that day."  

He replied while swindling his face in all directions, fist clenching and unclenching showing how much in distress he was. He desperately wanted to end the conversation, but Haseeb was not in the mood for it.

 "By the way, Sahir, how is your business going on? I have also heard that you are doing a job as a lecturer. "  

"Alhamdulillah! Business is going very well. And if you asked me about my job, then I loved to do lectureships. This is my passion."

There was a glint in Sahir's orbs and happiness rippling in his tone at which a genuine smile etched on Saba's face. 

"But this is a waste of time. The time and energy which you are spending on that stupid job, you can spend on your business. It will increase your business and will make you a big business tycoon just like me." 

Haseeb said with pride while Sahir smirked at his words. 

"Money is not everything Haseeb. Inner satisfaction is the most important thing which you get after following your passion."

Sahir said with a smirk and gazed at Zahra who gulped and gazed at Haseeb's expressions with nervousness etched on her face.

Haseeb was going to say something when a couple interrupted them, causing their conversation to dissipate in the air.

While having the conversation with the couple, Saba noted Zahra was gazing at Sahir, and they had made eye contact at various times. Uneasiness skated through her being and her inner churned in desperation.

She took a deep sigh of relief when they eluded Haseeb and Zahra, and went forward to meet other couples.

Throughout the party, she felt a gaze on her, and whenever she turned around, she found Zahra standing nearby and gazing at her. 

Nervousness clawed her being, and a chill ran down her spine.

..........................

"May I sit here? " 

Saba was sitting on the couch, surrounded by unfamiliar faces, while bored expressions etched on her face. It was that time when Zahra came near her, and asked for permission with a frank smile.