Chapter One: His Name

"Tell me more Susie, I want all of the details. You should know this by now," Mary teased, nudging her shoulder with Susan's.

Susan's cheeks grew a hue of red at her best-friends teasing. She playfully shoved Mary to the side, shyly smiling. "You're a bitch," she laughed.

"Oh come on! This guy made you blush! I have never seen my best-friend who was nicknamed the freaknik of our era, blush over a guy! I have to know everything!" Mary insisted, her tone sounding fascinated.

Biting her lips, Susan chuckled dryly along with her best-friend. Focusing her attention on the sidewalk and her feet walking. Right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot. Mary noticing her friends sudden strange attitude, her smile dropped. Consoling her friend, she softly gripped her arm. "Hey, you know I was just joking around Susie," she told her. Drawing her eyebrows together, frowning at her sudden change in behavior.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, you know I'll never push you to," Mary continued.

Shaking her head, Susan gave her best-friend a tight lipped smile. Quite frankly, she looked frightened. Nervous at what she was about to say. Almost as if she was choosing her words carefully. "It's not that Em, I just...it isn't exactly what..you think" she concluded.

Confused, Mary eyed Susan. "What do you mean?," she asked.

Drawing in a deep breath, and releasing a long puff of air. Susan felt her entire body become engulfed with this tingling sensation, her stomach turning at what she was about to say next.

"It wasn't.. um," tucking her hair behind her ears, she looked around her to avoid eye contact with Mary. Who was walking almost sideways to stare daggers into her soul; at least that's what it had felt like.

"Itwasntexactlyaguy," Susan spoke fast, her words jumbled.

Taken back, Mary twisted the side of her mouth stopping her movement whilst grabbing Susan's arm to halt her movement as well. "English please," she said.

Might as well just go out and say it, she thought. "It wasn't exactly a guy."

She looked at Mary, who remained silent trying to put the pieces together. Sighing, she continued, "actually, it wasn't a guy at all."

"So... what you're telling me is..?"

"I'm into the box," Susan replied.

Mary stared at her best-friend in confusion. The frown lines between her eyebrows growing prominent as she tried to put the puzzle pieces together. "Box?," she questioned.

"Yes," Susan replies.

"And that means....?"

"For fucks sake Em, I'm lesbian!" She says, throwing her hands in the air and rolling her eyes. "You're so slow sometimes."

Mary gasped, grasping her best-friends shoulders tightly. Her eyes wide, staring into Susan's who looked quite amused at her reaction. "What! No way! When? How? Why haven't you told me!?" She rambled, asking question after question.

Giggling, Susan releases herself from Mary's tight grip, dusting her shoulder off. "Slow down, slow down! I'll answer everything." Linking her arm with Mary's, she began walking dragging her stunned best-friend with her down the sidewalk and around the corner.

"Wait a minute, did you just call me slow?" Mary asked, side eyeing Susan.

"It's cause you are," Susie replies nonchalantly while shrugging her shoulders. "You never understand my references, which in conclusion, makes you slow."