Chapter Four: That's Impossible

"No! I already told you Susan! I'm not crazy..." Mary exclaimed, shaken up.

Susan sighed, pursuing her lips to the side looking at her frazzled best-friend. "I'm trying my best to wrap my head around what the hell you just told me. I just want you to understand how this sounds out loud okay? I didn't call you crazy Mary."

"Ugh!" Tears of frustration rolled down Mary's face. She cradled her head, pulling at her hair. She sniffled, keeping her focus down on the wooden table. "I flushed the paper down the toilet Susie," she continued, "I saw it, with my own eyes. I saw it get flushed."

Confused, Susan reached over and nudged Mary's shoulder back, making her sit up straight. Mary sniffled again, wiping her face with the back of her hand. Susan furrowed her eyebrows, concerned with the way her best-friend was acting. "Why are you crying then? You flushed it, it's gone. What's there to cry about?"

The look in Mary's eyes scared Susan. Her stomach dipped as she took in Mary's frightened state, she still couldn't wrap her head around the entire situation. "What-," before Susan could finish, Mary slid over a folded up piece of paper in the middle of the table. She gulped, pointing towards the paper sat in between them.

"Open it." Mary said.

"Mary you're scaring me...," Susan grabbed the piece of paper, nervous to open it. Mary wasn't acting normal, what the hell is so damn scary about a piece of paper? Susan unfolded the paper gently, eyeing her best friend before she completely opened it up. She breathed in deeply then exhaled before turning the paper around to see what was on it.

"Oh." Susan didn't say much as she looked over the shadowy figure drawn on the piece of paper. She took her time studying it, tracing the outline of the figure with her right pointer finger. "Wait a minute.... wasn't this the-"

"Yes." Mary cut her off.

"But I don't remember the drawing in color though, wasn't it black and white right? Or.." Susan questioned. She shook her head lightly, "No, no.. I remember it being black and white. Is this a different one?" She glanced up at Mary, confusion written all over her face.

"No, it's the same one. I already told you Sue!" Mary reached over the table and snatched the piece of paper out of Susan's hands. The slight action startled Susan, she flinched back into her chair and just stared at her best-friend waiting for an explanation.

"I.. I don't know how.. okay? Jus-just h-hear me out alright...?" She waited for confirmation from Susan before continuing. Susan nodded, making a swift movement with her hand urging Mary to go on. "It was black and white.. and then, I don't know! It just changed okay! All of a sudden it's just different, I don't know any other way to explain it! I-I can't, ugh I don't know Sue," Mary finished off, sighing and bowing her head in defeat. "I'm just as confused as you are, believe me."

"I do Mary, but honestly you aren't making any sense. Didn't you say you flushed it down the toilet?" Susan asked quirking up her left brow.

Mary only nodded.

"Okay then, why are you so worked up?"

"I watched it flush down Sue-"

Susan cut her off, growing irritated with the half-assed responses her best-friend is giving her. "Yeah you already told me that."

"That's the thing though. I remember flushing it down, hell I even peed after a-and..," She puffed her lips, mentally preparing herself for what she was about to say. She knew she was going to sound crazy, insane even. "And the next morning I found it floating in the toilet! And it was dry. It was totally dry Susan. And it was in the water floating. It scared me so much that I flushed it again and I sat there, on the ground and just waited for I don't even know what but it came back. The picture literally came back after I fucking flushed it again! A-and then I-I grabbed it out of the toilet and I just put it in the sink and ran water over it and it wasn't getting wet. The water ran over it Susan and it was still wet. Please please believe me, I s-swear that's what happened."