Part 8: Not In This Lifetime

*Santa Monica, California*
"Mama?" Yue called her mother as she stood outside her bedroom door. "Just a minute, I'm getting dressed," Shancai called back. Yue fiddled with her necklace as she waited, nervous but determined to ask what she'd been dying to know. Five minutes later, her mother opened the door, dressed in a white blouse and black slacks. Yue shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "What's the matter, YueYue?" Shancai asked her daughter, examining her daughter's antsy behavior. "Do you promise not to get mad at me?" Shancai's brow furrowed, then she pulled her daughter into her room, and they sat on the bed. "Why do you think I'll be mad? Sweetheart, you've made me worried, you can tell me," Shancai said in a concerned voice.

Yue inhaled deeply, then asked, "I...I want to ask you about my papa." Shancai tensed, she knew that sooner or later the topic of YueYue's father would come up, but she never knew what she should say. Swallowing, she answered, "What do you want to know?" Yue fidgeted, then queried, "Why did he leave us? Didn't he love us?" Tears began to well in the little girl's eyes. "Didn't he love me?" Shancai's heart broke at her daughter's words. She knew that if Daoming Si knew of her existence, YueYue would be the most important person in his life. "Your father would have loved you so much if he knew you. And he didn't leave, I did." Yue's head shot up to look at her mother. "But why? Was he bad?"

Shancai winced at her daughter's probing. She may be smart, but she was still just a child. "No, your father was a good man. But there were things that made it difficult for us to be together, so I had to say goodbye to him." That, she felt, was as good an answer as she could give her daughter. Yue mulled over her mother's words, then asked, "Was Papa the one who gave you this necklace?" Shancai nodded, "Your father, that stupid man, he gave it to me after showing me a meteor shower and making me wish on one like a kindergarten student." She gave a little laugh at the memory. "Hey!" Yue protested, as she still made wishes on them. "I still do that," she said with a pout.

"I know you do, my moon," Shancai said, pinching her daughter's cheek. "Mama," Yue whined as she gently pushed her mother's hand away. "He really loved you, didn't he?" Yue asked. "More than I ever knew," Shancai replied, a far off look in her eyes. "Will we ever see him again?" Shancai smiled sadly, then shook her head. "No, your father and I will never meet again in this lifetime." Yue's heart broke at the words, and choking back tears, ran back to her room.

Once back in the privacy of their rooms, both mother and daughter wept softly.

Author's note
Sorry for the uber short update but I promise next update will be longer, so please don't be mad at me. I've got a few things planned out, but depression and *cough* PTSD *cough* have really beat my ass, so I've been pretty uninspired. ¯\_()_/¯
Thanks for reading my trash anyway!
Thanks!
Gracias!
ありがとう!
감사합니다!
谢谢!
-monicacantwrite