Part 9: Too Late To Turn Back

*LAX*
"Are you sure that we're doing the right thing?" Thomas asked Xiaozi a couple of hours after landing in LAX. She opened her mouth to answer, but before she could, Lei answered, "You're asking if reuniting a family is the right thing to do? I'd say so, yes." Thomas's eyes narrowed, "Aren't you being a little biased because it involves your close friend?" Lei smiles wryly, replying, "I am, I'm tired of seeing my friend drown his sorrows in liquor and want him to be together with the woman he loves and the child they had together." Xiaozi bit her lip, she knew that Shancai was going to kill her when she realized that not only had she let the cat out of the bag, but she'd also dragged Lei here to help convince her to return to London. Shancai I'm so sorry, Xiaozi thought as she steered her way through the crowd of people I just want you to have a chance at happiness "Whether it's right or wrong, we're here now, and there is no turning back," Xiaozi said, shutting down the conversation and leading the two men out of the airport into a waiting car to drive down to check into a hotel.

Once they'd arrived and settled down in two hotel rooms, the trio gathered in Xiaozi and Thomas's room. "Do you know where to find her?" Lei asked. Xiaozi nodded, "I helped her get a house here, she's been living in Santa Monica ever since. But I don't think we should go now. She's probably busy, and I'm jet lagged." Her final sentence was said in a bit of a whiny tone, and Thomas snickered at her. Looks like she's still the same old pampered princess as always, Lei thought as he watched Xiaozi flop onto the hotel bed. "Fine," he relented, "I'm tired, too. We'll go see her later." With that, Lei returned to his room to go get some rest. Thomas turned to Xiaozi, "Are you really tired or did you just want to be alone?" he asked his girlfriend. "Both," Xiaozi said, a mischievous smile playing on her lips, "I'm not that tired." "Minx," Thomas shot back before leaning down to kiss her...

*In Lei's hotel room*

As soon as he'd gotten a chance, Lei called up the other members of the F4 to let them know that they'd made it to where they were supposed to be. "Where are you guys?" Ximen asked. "California, Xiaozi says that Shancai's been living here in Santa Monica with her daughter this whole time," Lei answered. "Have you gone to see them yet?" Ah Si pried. Lei shook his head. "What?! Why not?! Where are Xiaozi and Thomas?!" the Daoming chairman demanded. "In their hotel room, most likely screwing each other's brains out," Lei replied dryly. At that, Lei's friends made a face. "Gross," they said in unison. "Anyway," Lei continued, "Xiaozi said it is most likely that Shancai is currently working so we'd find her home empty. We'd go later in the day. You've been waiting for 7 years, Ah Si. A couple of hours more aren't going to kill you." Ah Si scowled at his friend's words, and he couldn't help but feel a little envious that he'd get to see his child before he did, but he knew that if he'd gone there himself, Shancai would run for the hills. He'd had enough of her disappearing act. "No, I want my first meeting with my child to be face to face, not over a video call. She deserves that much," Ah Si said. His friends all stared at him with shocked looks for a moment. "Look at Daddy Ah Si being all considerate about his little princess," Ximen and Meizuo teased their friend. "Shut up!" he halfheartedly shot back at them. "Just tell us when you see them, alright?" Lei nodded and ended the video call. Lying back on the bed, he began to drift off.

*in London*
"So he's gonna meet your daughter soon," Ximen said, "does that bother you?" Ah Si's frowned, answering, "Truth be told, yes. I've only recently learned of her existence, and now Lei is going to meet her for the first time, while I have no idea what she looks like. I just want her to know that I love her and her mother. I've missed so much of her life already, I refuse to lose more." Meizuo slapped his back in comfort, "There, there, soon you'll see her, and everything will fall into place."

In the opposite room, Feng and her assistant sat eavesdropping. She drummed her fingers against a folder of documents resting on her desk. "Indeed, and you'll never miss out on her life again. I'll make sure of it."

*Couple of hours later, California*

"Are you ready to go?" Xiaozi asked her boyfriend as she adjusted her bedhead. Thomas sat up and replied, "This is between you and your friends, I should stay out of it. I'm here as your moral support." "Are you sure? I don't want you to think I'm leaving you out or keeping things from you." He nodded and motioned for her to go. "I'll be back soon," Xiaozi called over her shoulder before stepping out into the hotel's hallway to meet Lei. "Is Thomas not coming?" Lei queried the heiress. Xiaozi shook her head, "He thinks it's best that he stay out of it." Lei hummed in agreement, adding "This is something that is ultimately between Ah Si and Shancai. We're just speeding up the process." Xiaozi nodded and they exited the hotel to a waiting car.

"What are you going to say to her?" Xiaozi asked Lei as the car sped down the freeway. "I'm not sure," Lei confessed, "It's not like I planned for this, your dragging me here caught me completely off guard." Xiaozi chewed on her lower lip, wondering what she should say for arriving unexpectedly. It's too late to turn back. I promised Ah Si I would try, and Shancai deserves a shot at happiness, she thought as she looked out the window. "Turn here," she said to the driver. Turning to Lei, she told him they would be arriving soon, here goes nothing.

Knock knock knock!

"Just a minute," a female voice called from the other side of the door. A moment later, the door opened, and Shancai peered out. "Xiaozi," she said in a surprised tone, "What a surprise to see you here, why didn't you call? And..." Her eyes shifted to the man beside her and she let out a gasp, "L-Lei?"

"Long time, no see, Shancai." Lei said, giving her a small smile.

Author's note
Now the fun begins. Please don't forget to vote and maybe leave a comment if you wanna. See you in the next update!
Thank you!
Gracias!
ありがとう!
감사합니다!
谢谢!
-monicacantwrite