Christmas day is a day saved for family drama pt. 2

Sorry it's been so long

Sorry it's been so long. I caught the worst cold ever 😖

Alice Lydell has always enjoyed the winter season. Not only did it bring magic in the air with snow lightly falling and a warm cup of cocoa in her hands. But it was a time where her family was all at home at the same time. With her away at school most of the year, and her sister away at a boarding school in inner London. She hardly ever was home throughout the when her whole family were there all together besides the rare events that is the holidays.

To say when she woke up on Christmas day with a large smile that stretched her pale pink lips the moment her green eyes fluttered open. Rising out of bed, she placed a pale blue rob she received last year from her father on Christmas.

Humming a soft tune, she went to her bathroom to fill a small watering can. Then went around the room to tend to the many different plants she had. A few were common ones to find in the wizarding world which were plants used for healing. While others were ones that her father would bring back from his trips abroad. Alice was using them as a part of her summer research before her sixth year.

A faint knock at the door had her curious eyes flick to the door and allowed a soft come in float to it. The door swings open to reveal a pale heart shaped face, smooth skin, and rosy pink cheeks. Their wide blue eyes glittered with happiness as they stared at her.

Letting out a squeal, Alice puts the watering pot down and ran into the girls arms.

"Lizzy!" Alice lets out as the said girl chuckles at her younger sisters obvious excitement.

"Ali, oh I've missed you." She nuzzles her nose into Alice's hair. Smelling different sorts of flowers that seemed to always permeate her hair from her gardens.

Alice can't help but smile as she pulls away from her sister, but a look of instant confusion crosses her face.

"I'm happy to see you, but I thought mother said you wouldn't be in till dinner."

At that, her sister gets a flushed look on her face. "Oh, we couldn't help but come by as soon as possible to celebrate our news."

Alice becomes confused by what her sister said, "we? News?"

Her sister just laughs and waves her hands, "just come down for breakfast and you'll find out. Now go on, time to get dressed." She smiles happily and shoos her sister back into her room.

Alice blankly stares down at her bed when a sudden cooing sound catches her attention. Sitting at the window is a pure white with black spots barn owl, ruffling its feathers against the cold winter morning.

Not recognizing the owl, Alice walks over and opens the latch on the window. The owl hops onto the desk and drops the letter then stares back up at her with amber colored eyes.

"Hello there..." she mumbles as she scratches under its beak and it leans into her touch. Amused by the affectionate bird, she gives it a few more pats and a hearty handful of treats, it flys off. Looking over the letter, she sees her name in swirly letters and a return address that has her raising an eyebrow as she is surprised by who the sender is. About to open it, she is stopped by the sound of her mother's voice calling up to her room. Figuring she could read it later, she leaves it on the desk to get dressed.

...

After dressing in the new dress she received before leaving school, Alice had brushed out her long golden hair and placed a black ribbon to tie away loose hairs from her face. Humming, she heads down the stairs with her hand gliding down the banister. The boisterous noise of her family can be heard from the dining room along with the sweet smell of maple in the air.

Entering the through the wooden door, Alice walks in with a large smile as her green eyes flick over the faces looking her way.

But what makes her pause in her step, a hitch that stutters her breath, and a sudden realization to sweep through her.

A flash of dark brown hair and dark chocolate eyes facing her sister with a loving gaze. On the table is their entwined hands and a glinting ring on her sisters left hand ring finger.

Alice looses feeling in her legs and wobbles into the door frame where she holds on. The commotion brings everyone's attention from the table to her, looking at her with a myriad mix of emotions.

Her mother looks sad for her daughters obvious heartbreak. Her father looks on in concern and is prepared to help her through it. Her sister looks on in concern and confusion, completely unaware of her younger sisters feeling. And worst of all. Henry looks at her with a blank stare of someone who is faintly concerned for someone he has only seen as a little sister.

Sharp twisting pain takes up residence in her chest, causing her fingers to grip the fabric of her skirt for purchase. But she knows she can't let out the welling pain of hurt at the news of her sisters engagement. For she could never hurt the sister she so dearly loves.

So burying it all deep, she forces a smile for the first time onto her face. Then with a chuckle that felt dry as it leaves her mouth, she works to explain away her behavior.

"Sorry, just tripped over the door."

...

Later on, after a long day of fake smiling and fake cheerfulness as the family went through their Christmas day traditions of a large dinner and the exchanging of presents. Alice slowly walked upstairs and entered her room. She stands there, with her back against the door. The firmness of it was acting as her connection as her blank emerald eyes looked straight across the space.

When suddenly, she feels a trickle of something wet fall slowly down her face. Raising a hand, she brushes her fingertips across the wetness and pulls it away. Sniffling, she tries to wipe away the slowly falling liquid and moves away from the door. She refuses to feel it, she refuses to be unhappy about the day her sister is at her happiest.

"It would be absolutely detestable if I wished this day never happened. What type of sister would I be then?" She mumbles to herself. Her now shiny eyes trace the room when she pauses on the still unopened letter sitting on her desk.

Walking over, she picks up the letter. Tracing her overly looped name with a fingertip before turning it over. Breaking the wax seal, she pulls out the folded paper inside. The letter smells like rain and grass, a smell she was surprised to be able to recognize as James Potter's.

Unfolding it, a smile begins to stretch across her face as the sadness she feels seems to melt away from the words on the paper.

Dear Alice,

I hope you are finding you Christmas day activities well. And no, I am not writing you to ask for help on the holiday homework. Although, if you would like to offer help, I in no way would refuse it. I am writing however to see if you are busy the day after next. I have gotten you a present to thank you for the help you are giving me this year while also keeping a certain fuzzy secret for me still. At this point, I would like to consider us friends. So I hope you will have time, just reply to the address in the envelope.

Happy Christmas,

James Potter

Don't forget to:

-vote!

-comment!

-add!

-follow me!