Letters and Owl Feathers

Dear James,

Dear James,

I must admit I was very surprised by your letter. And despite the fact that it left behind quite a few feathers, your owl was very sweet. As for the day you would like to meet, I am available. As for the homework, I guess providing some help wouldn't be all that horrible. As long as you supply some sweets because a distraction does sound nice. Hope your Christmas was well.

Alice Lydell

Smiling, Alice seals the letter with some wax. Of course, the wax was a dark blue with the seal being a large A. Attaching it to his white owl with spotted black dots that arrived that morning. The thing was sweetly waiting as it sat in the window. Standing up, Alice runs her fingers through the top of its round head. It makes a humming sound as it leans into her hand, an uncontrollable giggle passes her lips. The overly friendly attitude of the owl reminded her greatly of his owner. Attaching the letter to its leg, she opens the window for him to hop out and fly away.

Sitting back down at the dark wood writing table, Alice allows her head to fall onto one hand as her green eyes glance outside. Small white flicks started to dance through the late morning sky. She knew at some point that she would have to make her way down to her family for breakfast. But right now, she wanted to stay within her bubble for a little while longer. To enjoy the small peace that James' letter supringsly left her in the night before that lasted till that morning.

The flecks dancing in the air, and the crackling of her fireplace. It all gave her the feeling of her own little world for however long it was granted until she had to go down and face the heartache that was thrown in her face all day yesterday. To see that the man she has loved since she even knew what love was. To see the man she knew never loved her back once. To see him finally with the Lydell girl he always wanted.

So there she sat. In front of the dark brown mahogany desk. A fire crackling in the fireplace in her room. The late morning light  filtering through the window casting a golden glow around the room, lighting up Alice's hair so it's natural color glowed. Her green eyes slowly flutter close as she dreams of a dancing deer.

Then another knocking sounds from the window.

Sitting up, the chair squeaks lightly at the movement as Alice moves. Her green eyes watch the window as the owl she saw an hour ago once again sat. Its beak once again tapping at the glass.

Bewildered, she stands and moves the few feet to the now frosted over glass. Holding her hand out, the animal jumps onto her hand. Its ruffles puffing up as it works to warm its body in the warm room. Holding out its thin leg, Alice spots a letter wrapped around its leg.

Pulling it off, she unrolls it to show a new letter from James. Her eyes widen in surprise at how quick he was to respond.

Dear Alice,

Thank you for replying. I just admit, I was worried you wouldn't. My Christmas went well, my mother loves to knit her gifts so I am now armed with a new scarf. I would like if you can actually come to my house. If that is fine with you that is, I'll have plenty of your favorite sweets at the ready if that will help sway your decision. And if you do want to help with homework as well...well who am I to stop you. As for my owl, his name is Ernest. Don't be to sweet on him, he'll become greedy.

All the best,

James Potter

Raising one golden eyebrow, Alice's expression is amused as she turns her emerald eyes back to the owl patiently waiting. Chuckling quietly, she raises a finger to scratch under its chin.

"If he thinks I'll listen to what he says, then he has another thing coming. You are too cute to just be ignored. And look how hard you've been working! You deserve as much attention as you need." Alice muses as she talks to the puffed up bird. It let's out a soft hoot in agreement as it tilts its head further into her palm.

Smiling once again, she continues to pet the owl. Its overly affectionate manner and love attention reminding her much of the dark haired hazel eyed boy. Despite his annoying ways in the beginning, Alice had begun to start enjoying his crazy ways.

Looking back at the letter in her other hand. She lays it on the table as she tap her fingers over the words; my house. She hums as she contemplates that part of it.

Girls normally do not visit boys' homes, but then again, Alice isn't exactly a normal girl either. Thinking on it carefully, she hears a loud laugh that belonged to a man she has cared about for years. Her heart feeling tight at it, she let's out a sigh.

Riding on her feeling of needing to get away from the heartache, she grabs a piece of paper and dips her quill in ink. She writes back to the boy her reply.

She attaches it to the owls leg and holds out an arm. The spotted owl hops on and she walks it to the window. Opening it, a blast of cold air enters through. Hairs on her arm raise as the air causes goosebumps to scatter. Looking at the owl, she gives it ones last good scratch.

"If he doesn't treat you well after all this letter nonsense, then you better nip him until he gives you a tasty treat Ernest." Alice chuckles as it hoots and using its large wings, it flew into the grey sky.

Alice's eyes watch its figure disappear as her last written words play through her mind. A knock at her door has her closing the window to open it. Her heart feeling slightly lighter at the the thought of what's to come.

Dear James,

I'll be glad to join you at your house and eat some delicious sweets. Although, I am not sure how you would know my favorite as it is not something I've told you. Although, it does make me wonder what you think I would like, to see if you are able to guess it. Just tell me your address and I will see to about getting there.

As for the homework, I guess I will help you. But you would have to offer to help me with something instead of buying me with sweets.

All the best,

Alice Lydell.

Bugs: I am back, sorta? Updates on this and my other George weasley fanfic take a long time for me to work on as I work out the storyline. Anywho, I appreciate all the people who are enjoying this. Its what keeps me going with it.

Don't forget to:

-vote!

-comment!

-add to your library!

-follow me for updates!