Burning Glances

The street is filled with noise as Alice walks along the wet and snow filled cobble stones

The street is filled with noise as Alice walks along the wet and snow filled cobble stones. People of all ages were out, enjoying the last few days left of the year before it began anew. Her shiney red leather shoes were a sharp contrast to the white and brown of the ground below.

She was in London, having been driven by her father where he dropped Alice off near the entrance to Diagon alley. It was from one of the inns that James planned to meet her at and take her to his home through the the floo. Alice never used the network before, or floo'd as some would say. She was worried that she might mess up, or would accidentally get sent somewhere wrong without a way of returning. To summarize, Alice was nervous about it. Yet, the adventurer inside her was intrigued to find out how it worked.

Humming a light tune, her emerald orbs trace over the entrances of the shops. Looking for the sign that let her know she arrived at the Leaky Cauldron when something crashed into her. Shocked at first by the aspect of the fact she had her once red leather shoes planted as firmly as possible on the snow covered cobblestone path. Had now found herself to be on her back with a cold wetness soaking into the back of her dark blue dress and red burgundy cloak.

"I'm so sorry!" A light melodic voice squeaks out as a small pale hand enters her vision. Shocked at first, Alice pulls away as her emerald eyes take in the sight before her. A small girl stands in front of her with mousey brown hair. Her eyes were a thunderstorm blue, hidden behind the rims of large black circular glasses. She almost looks drowned in a large oversized grey sweater and a black scarf covering her face. Her small hand reaches out to Alice, almost hidden by the sleeve of the sweater.

Lifting a hand, she allows the girl to help her up as she dusts the clinging bits of snow off of her dress

Lifting a hand, she allows the girl to help her up as she dusts the clinging bits of snow off of her dress. Still watching the girl in wonder, Alice vaguely remembers who the girl is.

"Eleanor... Shoemaker, right?" The girl looks surprised by this and nods quickly. Her hands flit around as she blushes lightly.

"H-how d-do you my n-name?" Her voice is light and airy. The girls stature and her voice strongly reminding Alice of the stories her father would tell of tiny winged woman who sat on teacups. Of course, she knows fairies are much different than the muggle version, but she can't help but think that perhaps they came to be by people like Eleanor.

"You're in my year right? I shared a class with Hufflepuff for magical creatures. You really left an impression on me by your passion for them." Eleanor blushes further, the pink in her cheeks making her glasses fog a bit as she becomes even further flustered. Alice knew the girl was normally shy and introverted. Yet, in class, she was the only one who constantly had her hand raised to answer questions. The creatures in class especially seemed to like her most and she never had the unfortunate instance of getting bitten. Her passion mirrored Alice's love of all magical life, and the girl had tried to befriend the shy hufflepuff before. They hadn't spoken much this year, as Eleanor seemed to act as a ghost.

Looking at her pocket watch, Alice sees that she had a few minutes to spare. Feeling disappointed she couldn't speak to the girl further, she sighs sadly.

"I really must get going. I'm meeting someone at the Leaky Cauldron. I'll see you in the school." Eleanor looks slightly sadden as she never normally has the nerve to speak to someone.

"Yeah, see you." Eleanor waves as Alice begins to walk away and as she is about to enter the pub. A harsh voice catches her attention, and she looks back to where she left Eleanor.

A tall boy, who looked older than her had a hand wrapped tightly around the small girls arm. He seems to be speaking harshly, as Eleanor shakes in fright. Alice debates whether to turn back and help the girl when the sudden snap of apparating fills the air. Leaving behind a busy street now missing two bodies. Alice feels worry cloud her chest as she observes the spot they were just in. The look on Eleanor's face worried her greatly. Leaving her to wonder if she should look for the girl once school starts back up or if she should instead send a letter to her.

Standing there, she jumps when a hand lands on her shoulder which causes her to wip around to see who grabbed her.

Her wide emerald eyes meet the mischievous hazel ones of a boy who both greatly annoys her but now causes a strange flip-flop feeling when his grin makes his eyes sparkle.

"Did I scare you?" Alice rolls her eyes and hits his shoulder.

"Not at all Potter. I just jump because I felt like it."

James just grins and ushers her inside the warm building.

"Ready to go?" He asks as he heads us toward the fireplace. He grabs a handful of powder from a bowl.

Nodding her head, James grabs her hand. His grip warm and comforting as Alice's heart races with the thought of using the floo network finally.

Holding tightly, James throws the powder to the ground and bellows out as green flames spring up around us.

"Potters!"

A twisting feeling enters her gut as they seem to fly in a void and the suddenly they are standing in a fireplace in what appears to be a large and spacious living room. Still holding her hand, James helps her out and begins to help dust the ash away from her hair. She looks up through her dark brown lashes as James helps her. A blush forms across her cheeks as he finally looks down at her.

His throat tightens when he looks into her mesmerizing emerald green eyes. He swallows and clears his throat to help as he steps back. With a dramatic wave of his arm, he smiles cheekily at the girl staring at him.

"Welcome to my home. Now let's get to work on that holiday homework."

Alice raises an eyebrow at that, which James catches onto.

Coughing, he then rubs his neck, "and then I'll give you your present and those promised sweets."

What do you think of the new character I introduced?

-vote!

-comment!

-add to your library!

-follow me for updates!