Chapter 1 - Pilot: Part 1

3rd Person POV

"How did the council meeting go, Captain Hunter?" A female A.I. voice asks.

"Exactly as expected, Gideon." Captain Rip Hunter answers the A.I, walking onto the timeship known as the waverider.

"So we are proceeding?" Gideon asks.

"Indeed. Prepare the Waverider for takeoff. Set a course. United States. Star City. January, 2016." Rip says.

"Ah, the early second millennium A.D. The golden age of gasoline engines, online pornography, and those silly little smartphones. What are we going to retrieve, Captain?" Gideon asks.

"Oh, not what. Who. I need you to pull up some files, Gideon." Rip tells Gideon. "The nine men and women who'll be joining us on our little crusade."

"You usually prefer to work alone, Captain." Gideon points out.

"This time, I'll need a team." Rip says.

The time ship takes off.

"First recruit: Dr. Raymond Palmer. Also known as the Atom." Rip says. "Next recruit: Sara Lance. Former member of the League of Assassins, also formerly dead. Next up: Firestorm, the merged super-form of one Jefferson Jackson and Professor Martin Stein. Next recruits: Kendra Saunders and Carter Hall. The latest reincarnations of Hawkman and Hawkgirl."

"There seems to be an error, Captain." Gideon tells Rip. "These next candidates, Leonard Snart and Mick Rory, are a pair of criminals."

"There's no error, Gideon." Rip says. "And last recruit: Brooklyn Cooper."

"Captain, this girl also seems to have a history." Gideon says. "I would strongly advise against bringing her on board."

"I need her Gideon." Rip says. "Brooklyn Cooper may be a junkie with a criminal record, but she's got a genius mind and incredible archer abilities that I need. Plot the course, please."

"Right away, Captain." Gideon says.

And now, Rip is on his way to retrieve his recruits.

***

Rip Hunter, in his trenchcoat with a taser next to him, walks down a rundown alley of Star City. A 19-year-old girl, Brooklyn Cooper, is packing her backpack in the corner. 

Brooklyn zips up her backpack and swings it over her shoulder, right next to her bow and quiver

Brooklyn zips up her backpack and swings it over her shoulder, right next to her bow and quiver. She wipes her bloody lip before lifting the hood of her jacket over her head. She tightens the leather archer glove on her left hand and turns around. 

Upon turning around, Brooklyn catches sight of Rip with the taser pointing at her.

"Brooklyn Cooper." Rip says.

"What are you?" Brooklyn asks, slowly putting her hands up. "A cop?"

"I'm not a cop." Rip says.