Chapter 17 - Progeny

"150 years in the future and people are still wearing wool?" Jax asks as him, Brooklyn, and Sara walk into the room. Brooklyn has on a gray wool simple dress, gray tights (a bandage over her leg under the tights), and black converse sneakers and, of course, her jacket. "Man, I hate wool."

"Yeah, not gonna lie, this stuff sucks." Brooklyn says, tugging at the bottom of her dress.

"Be grateful, Mr. Jackson and Ms. Cooper." Rip says, typing on a computer. "Those living outside the Kasnian Conglomerate are dressed in rags."

"Conglomerate?" Sara asks.

"Yes, in the year 2080, government began to give way to corporations." Rip says

"More like 2008." Jax says.

"According to Gideon, in two hours time, our favorite immortal psychopath is scheduled to attend a meeting of the Conglomerate's shareholders." Rip says.

"Ooh, sounds exciting." Sara says.

"You think Savage takes over the world by trading stocks?" Jax asks.

"What we do know is, in 20 years time, Kasnia is the foothold from which Savage takes over the world, so we hardly want to take him on there, but if we can figure out how his actions here lead to his rise to power, then we won't need to." Rip says. He turns to look at Brooklyn. "No hood."

"But--" Brooklyn tries.

"It doesn't go with the time period." Rip says. "No one here hides their face." Brooklyn glares at him. "Leave it or you're not going on the mission." He holds his hand out.

"Fine." Brooklyn says, taking her jacket off and handing it to Rip.

"Copy that, Captain, but if we're gonna be checking out the future..." Jax starts.

"We should probably invite the nerd twins." Sara finishes.

"You know, I can already hear what Stan's gonna say about 2147." Jax says.

***

"The future, it's--" Stein starts.

"Fascinating." Brooklyn and Jax say at the same time Sara says...

"Astonishing."

"Well, it was a 50-50 chance which one he'd choose." Jax says.

"Actually I was going to say, 'Remarkable.'" Stein says.

"Isn't it?" Rip says as they walk down the pathway. "2147 was considered the world's zenith. All of these people have five good years to look forward to."

"Before what?" Snart asks.

"Before a ruthless dictator named Per Degaton comes to power, releases the Armageddon Virus, and most of them end up dead." Rip says.

"Well, that's depressing." Sara notes.

Three flying robots stop in the sky.

"Whoa." Jax breathes.

"Is that my suit?" Ray asks, looking at the robots. "That's my suit."

A woman screams. A man runs with her bag.

The robots shoot him down.

"You have been identified as violating Ordinance 12." The robots say.

"That is how Per Degaton's father Tor maintains order in Kasnia." Rip says.

"Doesn't look like progress to me." Snart says.

"Speaking of progress, we need to get a better lay of the land." Rip says.