Chapter 8

Tyler

I didn't know if I'd be able to pull it off but I knew if I didn't try, I'd never know. I could have gone through the whole farce of picking Camille that night. After all, I'd gone as far as smiling through the last day of filming, telling myself that as soon as this was over, as soon as the show wrapped, I'd be on my way to find Daniela. I didn't even have her phone number.

But even Camille knew my heart wasn't in it two days before the final ceremony. Not since that girl in the wheelchair showed up, she told me in a whisper while we were in the pool, cameras all around us trying to capture love that wasn't there. You don't look at me the way you looked at her.

Maybe the microphones picked it up but that's when Les started getting more insistent. I had to pick Camille; even the audience was rooting for her, not the wild card for every footage she was in was going to end up on the cutting room floor. We're not here to make a statement about people with disabilities, Ty. We're here to make a show and a good one at that. Camille had everything I needed, he said, beauty, body, and... heck, who cared about brains? I'd have enough brains for both of us.

"You signed a contract, Tyler. At least, pretend that you actually like her," he reminded me after he cut the tape and pulled me aside.

"I signed a contract to play Prince Charming," I said. "Whether I find someone was always up in the air."

"It's show business, Tyler, and no matter how you feel, you have to pick someone. The fans deserve something for waiting all this time. They've been following you guys from the beginning. No one even remembers her," Les said, his voice rising.

"Who?"

He arched an eyebrow. "You know who I mean, and no, I'm not saying her name. She's been bad luck for the show ever since she showed up. Our ratings alone–"

"Not for me. She's been my good luck charm." I was being stubborn but Les wasn't making it any easier for both of us.

Les glared at me then. "Remember: you're going to pick Camille."

I ran my fingers through my hair, sighing as I turned away from him to look out the wide expanse of ocean before me. How long had it been since Daniela and I swam together? Too long.

"Did you hear what I said?" Les asked. "Do it for the show. Just think of all the endorsements and so many doors opening for you. Think of the resort and the people wanting to come here, thanks in great part to the show."

The resort was doing fine before the show but Les has a way of believing his own lies. "Whatever you say, Les."

But that was weeks ago and here I am now, standing in front of her house wondering what to do next. Will my timing be perfect?

I haven't stopped thinking about her since Les kicked her and Marilyn off the island without telling me, knowing I wouldn't have approved. But it all worked out in the end even if I'd had to call in the best entertainment lawyers I could find to make sure I wouldn't go against any of the stipulations in the contract by not picking anyone.

I'd intentionally switched off my phone. I didn't want to hear what the world had to say about my decision. Let my agent take care of that; I had other things more important to deal with, like seeing Daniela again and learning if she's open to starting over again. What if she had someone else back home?

But Marilyn had assured me that she didn't. Even Tiffany, her younger sister told me that Daniela was single. She'd been single since the accident. I'd been so nervous about this evening that I'd had to busy myself with work while fielding calls from entertainment outlets wanting to interview me for the finale.

Why wasn't I available? What had happened on the island? What happened to the Wild Card and why hadn't there been any mention about her? Was she edited out? Was there a scandal like leaked reports indicated?

So many questions with no answers forthcoming, at least, not from me. The studio had decided to let the world wait for the finale to air on TV, beefing up their promos that featured that moment before I gave my speech about being a fool for not wanting Camille. I'd experience major backlash after tonight but I didn't care anymore. One bad decision–to do the reality show–had produced this moment, me standing in front of Daniela's door and that was good enough for me.

It's crazy to think I'd drop everything for her but who knows what the heart really wants? And why? Sometimes, some things just can't be explained... like why my stomach feels like it's tied up in knots right now as I ring the doorbell and wait for Daniela to open the door.