Chapter 6: Shocked and Distressed

The kids had been ecstatic eversince they talked to their "grandma" and the latter accepted their invitation, which was two days ago. She expected herself to feel a bit wary about it but she feels the opposite, especially when she looks at their happy faces.

Now, they are bothering her again if she already sent the invitation by mail to their grandma, which she didn't do yet for she is quite busy but promised them that she will do after the party that their uncle Lucas is having today.

They were excited to come with her at the said party for Lucas is finally allowing everyone to visit them - Claire and their newborn son, Luke. Lucas had been a very good friend and had helped her established her business, and Claire had worn her creations several times before. They were invited to their party which will be held at Lucas' penthouse. Only close friends and relatives were invited so she was grateful to be included. Mel is also invited as well as Drake. Her kids are chatting their usual chatters until they arrived at the place. She parked her car at the basement and went to the private elevator which will bring them up directly to the penthouse. A guard was attending the door and is not letting anyone into the elevator without an invitation. She is thinking that maybe this is a formal event with how strict the security is. But Claire assured her time and time again that it is an informal one. She just shook her head when she thought that this is Lucas' doing, preventing anyone who weren't invited to crash the party. He is very meticulous, a trait he is well-known at the business world. While they were being checked, Drake came and was checked as well. Since he just came, they waited for another minute.

She thanked the guard-on-duty after he thoroughly checked the invitation they had and counterchecked it with the list he is holding and let them inside the elevator. Even her children stopped their chattering with how they waited for several minutes before they were let up.

"Why is the guard very strict with us before we were let inside this elevator?" Nate asked in confusion.

"Because your uncle Lucas doesn't want anybody to just come up to their home without an invitation that is why. He is just careful. That is also the reason why we didn't visit aunt Claire and Luke at the hospital because both of you have colds at that time." Her answer may have pacified them for they did not ask any questions again until they arrived at the penthouse. But Drake have a different answer than her.

"Your uncle Lucas is just strict with everything." He said and even added a wink. She hit his arm when she saw her kid's confused face, something he laughed at and told her children he was just joking.

They were immediately welcomed by Alvin, the butler, and ushered them inside where Claire and Lucas are both waiting. It may seem that they are the first to arrive.

She immediately went to Claire, hugged and congratulated her. She also asked an apology of not visiting her and the baby at the hospital which Claire said that it was okay and that she was glad that they can come for today's event. She went to Lucas and congratulated him as well and cooed at the baby in his arms.

Several minutes passed when everybody else came including Mel who scrunched her nose at the sight of Drake. It is known to them, who is close to the two that there is a bad blood between them but the reason behind that is unknown to them. They just know that they do not like each other, but since they have a very close circle of friends and acquaintances, they cannot help but to suffer each other's presence. She also doesn't want to dig into it further for Mel always becomes upset everytime she will ask. Her and Lucas will always be the referee when they will start bickering like two young children.

Claire was introducing her to her family when she suddenly felt nervous, for Claire introduced her mother as Alessa. Another coincidence? But she knows that Claire's family name is a Sullivan so it may just be a coincidence. Her nervousness was about to settle when her thoughts were interrupted by the twins sudden shout.