Chapter 7: Should Have and Shouldn't Have

When Ethan failed to see Ellie after he went down, he went to the concierge and asked.

"Have you seen a woman with a caramel-colored hair went out from the private elevator?" At his sudden question the concierge blinked in confusion first before he answered.

"No, sir, only you went out of there."

At the man's answer, his shoulders slumped. The man may have noticed how sullen he suddenly look, so he added.

"She may have went directly to the basement parking."

He thanked the man and proceeded to the elevator again with the intent of going down to the basement parking where he circled it twice but found nothing. So he went back up the penthouse for he needed to question so many people about Ellie. Why is she here? Did Lucas or Claire invited her? Or both? Either Lucas known her all along or Claire may have met her while she was establising her business. For if either one is true, she was so much closer than he thought possible.

His footsteps where hurried with the sole intention of asking them one by one, even if it will take them until tomorrow, he doesn't care. All he wants is to know all the details they know about her and how she has been. They may have known his intent for he found them all sitting at the living room, including the Harrison women - a family through Lucas. The festive mood is gone. Though he hated how his problem caused the party to cease, he can do nothing about it anymore, and based on the looks that everyone is wearing, they understand.

"Were you able to chase her?" His mother was the one who asked the question.

"No, she may have went directly to the parking and left." His curt reply which made everyone look at each other.

"What is it?"

"Did you went to the basement?" Lucas asked.

"Yes, I did."

"Hmmm..." Lucas hummed and caused his brows to almost connect in a frown.

"What does that mean?" His irritated look may have alerted Claire to answer and diffuse whatever it is that irates him.

"It means Ethan, that if you have went directly to the basement parking, it should have been possible for you to see her especially since she still waited for the others to come down."

"What others? Can somebody tell me everything that there is to know? Me, asking questions and waiting for an answer, angers me. Please do not test my patience." His plea may have been the reason why Drake supplied the necessary answers even the unnecessary ones.

"Ellie waited for Mellissa and the kids to come down at the basement. Considering that you also went there, but haven't seen them may mean that you didn't went there directly, thus, letting Ellie go, though, unintentionally. If you are questioning who is Mellissa, she is Ellie's bestfriend, their relationship is much like Claire and Penny's, as for the kids, they are Ellie's. Kids, in plural form, means they are twins."

He let the information sink into his mind but the only thing that he understood is that Ellie has kids. He was about to ask another question but Lucas beat him into it.

"If you will ask if she is married, no, she is not. As for the father, she refuses to divulge any information about him even until now. Only Mel, as I guess, knows the truth. But since they are thicker than siblings were, she also refuses to say anything regarding the issue of their father."

He stayed quiet to process the information when another voice is heard.

"Please allow me to but in." Helena, Lucas' grandmother said and proceeded when he didn't refused.