3

The boy (who still doesn't have a name) and I walk down back to the amazing bakery next to the library in silence. i look at my phone and it reads 12:24pm, no wonder I'm so hungry. We walk in and stand in line to order, still not saying a word to each other. I'm still trying to recover from my embarrassment in the vintage store and me thinking about my stupid ex boyfriend and how-

"Ma'am?" I hear someone say. I jolt out of my thoughts and reply, "huh?"

"What would you like to order?" the girl asks. 

My face goes red from embarrassment as I say, "one vegetarian wrap and an apple juice please."

The girl punches in some numbers into the cash register as I grab a $10 bill from my wallet. She takes the bill and I walk out of line. What's going on with my brain today? 

As I'm waiting, he comes beside me and says, "I know that you're not fine."

I tense up and I can tell that he notices because I hear him chuckle. Why else would I get lost in my thoughts twice in a span of 30 minutes. That's not a normal thing to happen in someone's "fine" life. 

I get my food first so I sit at a table closest to the windows. The boy comes shortly later and sits across from me. 

"Do you wanna talk?" he asks. I look up from my wrap and into his eyes again. Ugh.

"You don't even know me and I don't know you," I reply coldly. What do I know about him? I don't even know his name.

He leans back in his chair, "Well, I know that your name is Anne, you like books, your self-image is sorta low so that could possibly be from something that happened in your past. I don't have an explanation for the crying in the vintage store so..." 

"You're wrong," I lie. He's 100% right but I would never give him that much confidence. 

"I could be, but you're probably just saying that so I can give up and leave you to drown in your own sadness," he replies confidently. 

"How do you know all of this?" I ask.

"I took a psychology class in high school which basically taught me about all of the different ways to know so much about someone's character in literally a few minutes. You can tell who someone is based on their choice of location, like the library, their comments that they make about certain things etc." he explains. 

"Oh," I reply. I still don't want to tell him about myself, so I remain silent. 

"Ok, let me tell you some things. My name is Gilbert, I'm 19 years old and I am an orphan. My father died 2 years ago and my mother died when I was born. I live with my aunt in a small apartment just around the corner from here. I want to become a doctor and I also want to travel the world. I enjoy reading, writing, playing guitar and talking to others about their issues. So, your turn."

How is he so calm about all of this? He literally told me everything about him and he didn't even care. I don't want to tell him about my life, it's too much for me to even think about. What if this is a trap, a trick. He just wants to take advantage of me and use me for whatever he wants. I will not be used again.

I grab my purse as quick as I can and I bolt out of the bakery. Away from him. Gilbert.