4

"Anne! Anne!" I hear Gilbert calling my name as I run through the crowds of people. I need to escape him. I finally find a spot to cross the streets so I do, not realizing that the light is green. As I'm running, I get pulled by my jacket sleeve and jerked back, banging into someone on the way down to the floor. But I don't land on the floor.

I hear someone breathing heavily and I sit up. It's Gilbert. I stand up and help him up off of the sidewalk. 

"Are you okay?" he asks. 

I look at him in shock. He's wondering if I'm okay. I reply, "You were literally my human pillow and you're asking if I'm okay." He chuckles and rubs his head. 

I walk behind him and see that his head is fine, probably bruised but at least it isn't broken. I sigh in relief. 

"Anne?" he says. I walk back to face him. "Why won't you talk to me?"

I reply, "I'm scared." His eyes meet mine and they're filled with guilt and sadness. I pull him into a hug, and for a second he doesn't hug back but then he does. Even though we're in the middle of the sidewalk, I could stay in his arms forever. 

"Anne, there's nothing to be afraid of. I'm not going to hurt you, I promise," I hear him say. I release from the hug and look at him again.

"I have to leave Avonlea. Today," I say. It feels like a weight is lifted off of my chest as I tell him. He frowns.

"My adopted mother and I got into some trouble with these guys and they did some bad things which is making us leave. It's not even my mother's fault and I just don't want to go," I feel tears forming in my eyes. 

"Well we should go do something about it. Tell the office that its wrong." Gilbert says. I shake my head.

"We can't."

"Yes we can. The lawyer's office is right around the corner," he replies. Before I'm able to object, he grabs my hand and pulls me along as we head to the lawyer's office. His hand fits perfectly into mine. As we're running, his hair is flowing around in the wind and he's filled with so much hope. 

I think I'm falling for him.