Chapter Ten.

The two of us left the restaurant shortly after our conversation; I didn't regret agreeing to spend time with him because I felt like I got some of the answers that I needed.

"Where are we going next?" I asked him, my way of letting him know that I wasn't upset; I wanted to make the most out of our time together.

Jibri looked visibly relieved as he drove, gripping the wheel a little less tightly. "Just ridin' for now Zana, relax and enjoy the scenery." I chuckled while looking out my window at trees that he zoomed by.

"I think that you should entertain me instead. This is your outing, right?" I asked him getting more comfortable in my seat.

He nodded at me, biting the inside of his cheek before replying. "Tell me something real about you."

"I'm ridiculously emotional while being insanely closed off." I said honestly, self-aware enough to know that there were aspects of my personality that I needed to work on.

Jibri pulled up to a random playground and parked his car. "How come?" He seemed genuinely interested.

"Let's leave it at that for now, we can talk about my deepest darkest secrets when we have a more solid foundation." I shrugged, there was no point in baring my soul to him that early on.

He sighed, putting his seat back into a lying position while placing both hands under his head. "I feel you; the foundation can only be solid if we both contribute materials to build with though Zana."

"Okay, well how about you tell me something real about you." I suggested, kicking one shoe off and tucking my leg underneath me.

Jibri smirked, "I used to be scared of relationships because my pops was abusive toward my mom." I flinched, he'd caught me off guard with the weight of his words, and how closely they hit home for me. "Logically I knew that I would never do no shit like that, but I didn't want to ever have the chance."

"What changed?" I asked him, wanting to know more.

He leaned his head to the side so that we were looking at each other, "My way of thinking; I wouldn't have been afraid or guilty of a possible scenario if I was anything like him." His words hit me deeply, though he wouldn't have had any idea why.

"I play games with men and treat them like they aren't worthy of me because the man who was supposed to protect me, used me as a punching bag whenever he could." I looked him in the eyes as I spoke; venom dripping from every word. I spent most of my time pretending that it never happened, while at the same time being a prisoner to my past; a tricky balance to say the least.

Jibri sat up immediately, "Shit Zana, I never would've brought that up if I knew." He grabbed ahold of one of my hands. "I wouldn't ever hurt you or anyone else; I've been around monsters enough to know that I ain't one." He kissed the tips of my ice-cold fingers, I smiled at the gesture while reeling in the tears that threatened to fall as memories tried their best to flood back to me.

"It's fine, just know that I'm going out of my comfort zone with you; I don't usually let people see me." I mumbled. "Let's change the subject, it's getting way too sad in here."

He agreed, "Aight, you got the job, right? Tell me how it was." I appreciated that he didn't try to press the issue, allowing me to express my feelings, but to the limit of my comfort.

"Amazing, I'm a real-life stylist now; with one whole client and everything." I gushed, happiness replacing the pit of sadness that I was beginning to fall into.

The two of us talked more about my job, while the world stilled around us. It was the first time that I'd ever felt like nothing else in the world mattered; a feeling that I could get addicted to if I wasn't careful. I'd had relationships in the past, but they were always superficial in nature; the way that I liked it, I didn't care to have long conversations with men before Jibri. The thrill of the chase and the teasing were usually what interested me and once I caught them, it was no longer fun.

"You got business cards? I'm down to put them in the shop." He assured me, after I told him that I was excited to grow my client list.

I beamed, a silly grin forming, "That's sweet of you, I'll definitely recommend you to anyone who wants a tattoo."

Jibri's phone rang when he was about to say something else, as soon as he checked the caller ID, I knew who it was. He looked from me to his phone before ignoring it.

"You didn't have to do that." I sat up straight in my seat, back on the defensive.

He shrugged nonchalantly, "I'm with you. Don't go dark on me now girl, I already told you what it was."

"I guess I forgot about her, this has been nice." I leaned over the console, almost face to face with him. "We should do it again."

Jibri smirked, grabbing the back of my head and planting a kiss on my lips; it was over all too quickly, "There's no reason that it has to end yet. Stay wit me a lil longer."

"Okay Jibri, we need to start heading back to the city soon though; I have an event tomorrow." I smiled, kissing him again; the kiss was far more urgent the second time around, his lips were perfect. I could've kissed him forever; if I believed in forever, despite my growing feelings for Jibri, I felt like the end was inevitable.

Eventually, I ended up in his lap; we were like teenagers, the parked car at the playground didn't help that fact either. I regretfully pulled away, desperate for air, his eyes were fixed on the rise and fall of my chest.

"I'll talk to Yanise on Monday, ain't nothin' stopping me from going forward with you." Jibri promised.

I nodded, glad that our thing would be able to grow without an unnecessary third part. "I like you Jibri, honestly and I'm not in the mood to get shit on by you." I fiddled with one of the chains around his neck.

"I like you too Zana; a lot. I don't plan on dragging you into bullshit, it'll get handled." He said, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist.

We spent a few more minutes in that position, then I got back into my seat while Jibri put his upright and started the car.

"Put your seatbelt on Jibri." I told him, pulling my phone out for the first time since I left home. I checked Instagram and found that I was tagged in a post on Pardi's page, it was a clip from his new video.

SHOULD I DROP THIS VIDEO? My Stylist got me fly enough to holla at @michelleobama.

I laughed at his caption and liked the post while noticing the influx of followers, he was goofy, but he was a great client to have. I could've had way worse outcomes from my first official job as a stylist.

"What you looking at?" Jibri asked, eyes on the road.

I showed him my phone when we stopped, "My first client gave me a shout out and I'm getting a lot of new followers."

"That's your new client? Damn, you started off in a good place." Jibri responded, "Congrats, remember me when you're a celebrity stylist."

I rolled my eyes and playfully slapped him, "I'll always look out for the little people." I teased.

I'd definitely seen a different side of Jibri in the hours that we'd spent together, it made me hopeful that things would work out and that he'd deal with his little friend. I decided that if it failed, it wouldn't be my fault; I would put in the effort necessary for growth and hoped that he would do the same.