Chapter Twenty-Two. But Let Jibri Tell It.

For  Layla-A-D.

My head throbbed as I woke from another drunken night out; it was the only thing that stopped me from going to Zana's house at night. She needed time to get over herself and I would give it to her. I missed her like crazy, but I also knew that she'd come back to me. Knowing this didn't help much when the only thing I wanted was Zana's crazy ass. She was upset over a harmless kiss and that wasn't my fault, I knew that; I had good intentions wanting my friend back and Zana never cared to see things from my perspective- or at least that was what I'd tell her when we got back together. 

Like the week before, I walked into the flower shop near my studio and paid for a week's worth of roses to be delivered every day. Zana wouldn't talk to me; she'd blocked my number and all of my social media profiles but that wouldn't stop me from showing her how much I loved her. The look on her face haunted me each night; the hurt mixed with disappointment as she told me to leave for the last time. I hated being without her and I knew that she felt the same, so all I had to do was keep sending her flowers and notes; they would eventually wear her down.

"You must have done something really bad, son." The florist smiled sympathetically as I wrote seven notes for each bouquet. "She must be some girl if you're willing to grovel like this."

I handed him the notes, "She's everything."

After leaving the shop, I went back to the studio where I would kill time until my next appointment. To my shock and utter annoyance, Yanise was sitting in my office with a smile on her face.

"Get the fuck out." I stood by the doorway and waited for her to leave. When she didn't move, I spoke again. "Why would you come here?"

Hurt was etched all over her face, but I didn't feel anything. Because of her, I didn't have my Zana. "Why are you acting like this? Everything was cool when we were out last night."

"But you can't show up here right now Nise, what if Zana comes by?!" I shouted, an employee stopped on their way to the bathroom and I stepped into my office so that I wouldn't cause a scene. "Look, you know that things with me and her are off right now, I just need some time to get her back on my side before she sees you lounging around again."

Yanise tried to touch me but I shrugged her off, "Are you serious Bri? You're gonna have me sneaking around? I'm pretty sure that would make things even worse." She whimpered. "So I-"

"So what?" I said incredulously. "I love you Nise and I'm happy that we're on speaking terms again but I need a little time to get Zana in line, you understand?"

Yanise's tears spilled over as she nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry that it has to be like this, Jibri." She said sadly. "Call me later?"

"Don't cry Nise, I'll take you to lunch." I wrapped her in a tight hug before she could walk out of my office, "And don't worry about this, I'll get her in line soon." I kissed the top of her head.

I'd forgiven Yanise for sending the photo to Zana; after all, it was Zana who decided to assume the worst from an innocent picture of Yanise and I. The universe had a sick sense of humor, I had spent so much time wishing that I had my best friend back and now I didn't have Zana. Despite the fact that she wasn't physically with me, I could still hear her laughter in my head, and I could see the way that her eyes always twinkled with mischief when she looked at me. I had to get her back, by any means necessary.

I couldn't take it anymore, I left my office and headed to the front desk. "Cancel my appointments or pass them to someone else." I said to my receptionist before ducking out the back door with Yanise.