Epilogue

Unedited

Ilima's skin is wrinkly and his bones are weak. He sits in his rocking chair, moved from his old bedroom to the living room because he can't go upstairs anymore. His knees might give out on him. He gave up trying to dye his now vulpix-white hair cotton candy pink like his preference. Back when he was older, after marriage, he had gotten a successful top surgery after three tries. However his lower body wasn't so lucky. At least he doesn't have to be a grandfather with a chest binder. That wasn't what he wanted. Nor was it what you wanted for him.

Ilima rocks back and forth with Slowking on one side and Gumshoos on the other. Both Pokémon are extremely old. Butterfree's Wings have gotten badly hurt so now the poor boy has to walk around with his tiny legs everywhere. He is taking a nap on the couch right now. Smeargle went with the grandkids to make sure they weren't getting into any sorts of trouble while exploring. Ilima closed his old eyes, taking in long deep breaths and appreciating how far he has gotten in this wonderful life of his. Alola is truly an amazing place to be alive, ya know? However when he heard the door open, it was time to open up and greet the grandchildren. Ilima wore the same kindhearted smile from his youth throughout his life and let it shine upon his grandkids. Wow, they really make him feel his age.

"Grandfather! We got you a gift from them Meadow!"

The eldest sister cheered, being only seven years old. She held a handful of golden cosmo flowers and gave them to her grandfather. Her name was Leilani. She had Ilima's cloudy gray eyes and your skin tone. She was a beauty, even at such a young age. Ilima took the flowers, twirling them in his slender, fragile hand. The golden cosmos had always been your favorite, hadn't they? He held them up to his nose for a sniff, before taking the one with the longest stalk and placing it behind Leilani's ear, making her feel like the Princess she is. Ilima was going to say some wise, esteem-lifting quote but the twins decided that they needed to interject before Grandfather Ilima said a word.

"We got you something too, Grandfather! Freya, give it to him!"

Alice bossed her twin lik she normally does. The twins were only three, but they both were beautiful little girls. They had dark hair and eye colors that did not match your nor Ilima's. You and Ilima's son adopted the twins who had been abandoned in Po Town, where he and his wife currently live. The children are just visiting. Freya handed Ilima a stone that sparkled a light gray hue. Ilima chuckled, remembering what this was. The three little girls must have recognized what the look on Ilima's face meant, so they at down for a story time. Gumshoos, Slowking, And Smeargle joined them as Butterfree climbed up the chair to sit in Ilima's lap for a short backstory behind the gray stone.

"This is what we call Normallium Z. Back when I was a teenager, we had trials where we'd give these stones to trainers who earn them. I was a Trial Captain who handed out these stones. Before the Alola Civil War and Melemele Secession, Z Crystals were a common occurance. After the Civil War we used them all up. You girls are wonderful for finding this stone. I think we should go give it to Voti."

Voti was the name you created when you learned you were going to be grandparents. Vo neither granddaddy like vovo nor grandma like voma, and you just liked how adding the extra sound at the end sounded. Ilima struggled to stand up, so Smeargle and Slowking helped him. Ilima carried Butterfree in his frail arms and slowly made his way out Tom the backyard with the kids, Gumshoos getting the door for the four of them. You should be out here so where. Ah, there you are. Right next to the large Willow Tree.

Several wilted yellow cosmo flowers stood on your grave. Leilani replaces them every Sunday to honor your memory. There was a picture of you in front of the grave and Ilima had a proud Non-Binary flag painted on the back of your tombstone. Ilima had you, the love of his entire life, buried right here in the house where it all started. Ilima felt himself tear up, but he smiled anyways. At least up in heaven you can't hurt anymore, right? He always has to remember the positives. He knelt down before the grave, beckoning Freya over to him. The shyer twin was confused, he gave her the Z-Crystal.

"Why don't you give Voti the Crystal, Freya? I'm sure she'd love it very much."

Freya nodded, bowing her head slightly. She took the small crystal and placed it on top of your grave, sending a small mental prayer towards you. Her mouth moved, but no words came out. She always hated talking if she didn't have a need to. To each their own. Freya returned to the group and suddenly started crying. Ilima took the small child into an embrace. They may be young, but some of their best early memories would be with Voti. They'd be with you. You loved those children like they were your own. It's so sad to see you go. Ilima misses you dearly. The whole family misses you dearly. Stay positive, Ilima.... stay positive. 

"I felt them... Grandfather... I could feel Voti hugging me and thanking me... they told me they loved me so much... I miss Voti..."

Ilima looked up towards the sun in the sky. Alice was probably going to tell her that was stupid, but Leilani had her shut up real quick. Ilima stared at the cloudless blue sky. Ilima could feel the tea leave the corner of his eye when he saw you, young as can be. You were just flying in the air with your angel wings and a halo. You blew him a kiss and disappeared. Ilima Smiled wide. He was probably hallucinating, but he really needed to see that. He returned his attention to the weeping three year old. Stay positive, Ilima. Stay happy.

"We miss Voti too, but remember that Voti will love us no matter what. Voti loves us all, girls."

Ilima took the two other little girls in for a big hug. From the distance, you were watching as an angel. You died of a heart attack due to old age, but that's okay. Your family is still happy and still remembering you, and that's all that matters.

You love them so much.

1112 Words

~The End~