Chapter 8

Frostleaf stood against the chilly winds of the night silently, following the rules of the vigil every new warrior had to do.

She took the opportunity to reflect on her journey to become a warrior. It had been a struggle to overcome her grief for the death of her littermate, then her mother. However, with the help of many cats, she overcame the obstacles and became a warrior at last.

Thank you, Ravenkit, Flowerfeather. I know that you are looking out for me from StarClan, and it would be a long time before I join you. I will stay strong and serve ThunderClan to my fullest, until it is the right time for me to join StarClan.

I promise.

~~~~

By the time the pale golden light of dawn appeared, Frostleaf was almost falling asleep.

Brownstripe padded up to her and gave her a prod. "Your vigil is over. You may speak now."

The new warrior stretched, feeling stiff from standing for almost the entire night.

"Take a rest for now. I want you in the evening patrol later," the ThunderClan deputy instructed, walking off to organise patrols.

Frostleaf gave him a quick nod before heading to the warriors' den to sleep. She took a vacant nest and fell asleep.

She was not sure how long she was sleeping for, but she was awoken up abruptly by a yowl.

Frostleaf ran out of the den and spotted the camp being invaded by ShadowClan warriors. Despite feeling groggy, she threw herself into battle.

A ShadowClan warrior by the name of Frogtail engaged her in battle. Snarling, he pounced. Caught off guard, Frostleaf lost her balance and became pinned by the enemy warrior's claws.

"Weak," Frogtail taunted, preparing to sink his fangs into her.

However, before any one of them could do anything, the ShadowClan warrior was knocked over by a smaller cat.

"Grasspaw!" Frostleaf gasped.

"No need for thanks," he responded swiftly. "I heard what he said and thought you needed help."

"Thanks," the she-cat meowed, turning to face the ShadowClan warrior. "Let's finish this battle."

"You and a blind cat?" Frogtail sneered, rising to his feet.

In response, Grasspaw rushed forward, swiping low at his paws. The grey tabby tom fought back fiercely, neither of them giving an inch.

Frostleaf went to assist her Clanmate. She joined in the assault, slashing at whatever openings Frogtail had until the ShadowClan warrior was beaten. Spitting furiously, he fled.

She was sure that he was surprised by Grasspaw's skill despite his disability.

As Frostleaf searched for more ShadowClan warriors, her gaze landed on a light grey tom's pelt. Anger rose up inside her as she spoke the warrior's name.

"Stoneclaw."

It was the warrior who killed Ravenkit before his chance at apprenticeship. The one who took away her kin.

"Come on, Grasspaw!" Frostleaf called, charging towards her brother's murderer.

She reached Stoneclaw first. Darting to the side, she unbalanced the older warrior. Unexpectedly, he recovered quickly and countered with a well aimed blow at her nose.

As blood oozed out, Frostleaf glared at Stoneclaw, all the memories coming back to her like a relentless wave. He seemed to recognise her as well and guilt flashed across his face for a moment.

Grasspaw made his move. He lashed out with his front paws, causing Stoneclaw to retreat backwards. It did not deter him, however, as he sprung forward and managed to cling onto Stoneclaw's pelt.

With Grasspaw successfully restricting his movements, Frostleaf attacked, sinking her claws into his pelt.

With a mighty roar, Stoneclaw threw Grasspaw off. He was panting hard as Frostleaf pounced, pinning the ShadowClan warrior down.

His light green eyes bore into her blue ones. "Avenge your littermate by killing me," he spoke quietly.

"No," Frostleaf meowed, the anger in her heart ebbing away. "It would not bring him back."

She let Stoneclaw go. "Leave."

The ShadowClan warrior did not need to be told twice. He retreated, along with his other defeated Clanmates.

"Well said, young warrior," Nightstar meowed. "You fought well."

His gaze turned to Grasspaw. "I'm afraid that I was wrong about you. Despite your lost of sight, you still have the desire to protect the Clan. It's time for me to give what you rightfully deserve."

The ThunderClan summoned the Clan with a yowl. All eyes were on him as he said those words. "I, Nightstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn."

"Grasspaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do," Grasspaw replied solemnly.

"Then, by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior name: Grasspaw, you will now be known as Grassheart. StarClan honors your bravery and determination and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

"Grassheart! Grassheart!" the Clan called, their voices ringing with approval. Almost all had seen Grassheart's efforts that day.

The newly named warrior padded towards Frostleaf, dipping his head in thanks. "Thank you for not giving up on me. It's all thanks to you that I was able to get on my feet again."

"I'm glad I could make a difference," Frostleaf mewed, smiling as other warriors went to congratulate him.

~~~~

Two days passed since ShadowClan's attack. Frostleaf was hunting alone near Twolegplace when she heard the rustling of leaves.

"Who's there?" she called.

A black tom revealed himself, his green eyes fixed on her. "I am a friend of your father, Oakblaze. My name is Jet."

Frostleaf stiffened. "How do you know-"

Jet raised a paw to silence her. "I came to give you a warning, of things to come. Not just to ThunderClan, but to all Clans."

"The poison created by betrayal moons ago have seeped into the Clan. It is only a matter of time before its true nature is revealed and the destruction of the Clans is upon you."

------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all your support! Book two will come out soon! :D