⋉ chapter nine ⋊

The library is less than a five-minute walk from my house, which is good news because I adore libraries

The library is less than a five-minute walk from my house, which is good news because I adore libraries. They're an encapsulation of tranquility and the written word, tucked away from the stressful whims of time and space. A safe haven. Depending on its caliber, the library here might even be able to compete with the Thai restaurant across from Wal-Mart.

"Good evening." A woman with owl eyes greets as I step foot into the lobby. I flinch at the unexpected reception.

"Are you returning or checking out today?"

I shake my head to indicate neither. Then, I hurry to one of the desks before she can interrogate me further.

As I set my backpack on a chair, I take a quick look at my surroundings, finding myself filled with the feeling of...disappointment.

In this building, this library far from what one might call expansive, there lies at most ten rows of shelves carrying books older than age itself. My nose twitches at the accumulation of dust hanging in the air.

But I have bigger things to worry about than an allergy-inducing library. I need a game plan. Nova is going to expect me to talk. That's a given. But I can't. That's also a given. Unfortunately, after seeing Caleb and Nova at lunch this afternoon, it appears that talking is going to be inevitable. Especially with Caleb. He's incredibly talkative.

So, what am I going to do?

"Oh? Really? Is it with that young gentleman over there?" I hear the librarian murmur.

"Yep." A female voice confirms. "That's him."

I watch in awe and horror as Nova approaches. She sits across from me, a nervous smile etched on her face. "Hello, Ren."

I nod in acknowledgement. She tries to make eye contact, so I bend down to take out my observations journal and more importantly, avoid her gaze. My hands quiver as I unzip my bag.

"So...um...I assume you've read the rubric."

I still don't have a game plan. What am I going to do? I glance at the observations journal in hand, and an idea pops into my head.

After opening the notebook, I begin to write on a blank sheet. I rip out the page and hand it to her with vibrating fingers.

Yeah, I read it.

"So, you know that if you don't speak, we're going to be docked by 50%?"

I nod.

"Are you mute? Or are you physically incapable of speaking? I'm really confused."

I snatch the sheet again, quickly scribbling a response, before returning it to her.

Neither.

"This system is inefficient. Give me your phone number so we can text instead."

Oh.

Wow.

How did I not think of that before? After I write my number, she sends the first text.

Nova: Why don't you talk?

Ren: The correct question is why can't I talk?

Nova: I don't understand the difference.

Ren: Never mind. Just know that presenting in front of the class is impossible. I'll speak to Mr. Cardsmith.

Nova: Alright...should we work on the project then?

Ren: Yeah.

Nova: Since we have to research his family, we can delegate different family members. I'll start with his father, you do his mother.

Ren: Okay.

I don't bother telling her I already investigated his mother. I grab my designated Bio notebook and start editing the information I already summarized.

"Well, while you write...that...I'm going to start researching Charles Darwin's father." She pulls out a laptop and soon her fingers are clicking across the keyboard with ease.

Curious, I pause on my notebook writings and type Charles Darwin's father in the Google search bar of my phone. A pudgy man with a judgmental expression appears on my screen.

"Robert Darwin. Best known for being Charles Darwin's father. Oh wow, did you know he was a doctor?" She asks, reading the exact same Wikipedia article I just maximized on my screen

I give her a blank stare.

"Okay, I'll find something more interesting." She offers, clicking her mouse. "Hey, his dad had an affair with the governess after his mom died. And she bore him two illegitimate daughters. How's that for drama?"

Curiosity sated, I return to writing. However, as soon as I do, the hairs on my nape raise. Someone is behind me.

"Caleb?" Nova asks. "What are you doing here?"

"Yo, wassup. And, isn't it a free country?" He jokes.

She points to the paper in his hand. "What's that?"

"My alternative assignment." He explains, slipping into the seat beside her. "And guess what."

"What?"

"I have to do it with Erica Wright." He rolls his eyes. "I want to die."

Nova giggles. "Are you serious? Let me see."

While Nova snickers over the ironic circumstances and Caleb groans, I watch on. They seem like a nice enough pair, unlike the rest of the pretentious, self-righteous students at Trinity High.

I cringe inwardly as a prodding thought comes to mind. No, they can't be my friends.

What sort of friendship would that be? Us, only able to communicate through text? And that's generously assuming they'd even want to be my friends in the first place. No, I'm not that naïve.

"Yo Ren," Caleb begins.

"Why do you always refer to him as 'yo' Ren?"

Caleb shrugs, turning to me. "You don't mind, do you? It's just a greeting."

I shake my head, my lips twitching. A feeling so strange I wonder if my mouth has malfunctioned.

"Look! He smiled!" Caleb exclaims. "He doesn't mind."

I touch my lips for half a second before wrenching them away. I don't want them to think smiling is a foreign concept to me. I've smiled before, just not in this sort of situation.

"He talked to me through text." Nova says, beaming.

Caleb's face brightens. "Dude! For real? Give me your phone number right now."

I feel my cheeks burn, wondering why he would ever want my phone number. Especially since we aren't even working on a project together. But I don't think he's asking—it sounds more like a demand.

I grab the paper on which I had previously written my number for Nova. He gleefully copies the combination into his contacts list. "Dude, I'm going to text you every day."

My lip twitches again.