Chapter Two

AN: FYI, it's really weird to write about Christmas in March! 

"Merry Christmas!"

Emelia leapt towards Dianne and Joe as they walked hand in hand into the kitchen.

"Wow. Merry Christmas to you too. Someone's excited. Is the jet lag finally wearing off?"

Mark laughed and ruffled his granddaughter's hair. "I don't think so. She was up at 10 to 5."

Joe grimaced. "Ouch. Sorry, mate."

Mark smiled. "It's no bother. I have to get up at about that time for an old man wee, so we just stayed awake. Anyway, happy Christmas you two."

Mark hugged Joe, before squeezing Dianne and kissing her cheek.

"Let's get some coffee before we tackle the presents. Your brothers will be here about 11."

Dianne nodded and followed Mark and Emelia towards the kitchen island, which was covered with plates of fruit and pastries. Rina emerged from the pantry holding a separate plate. "Joe, these are gluten free."

He smiled. "Thank you. You know you don't have to go to the trouble, though."

Rina nodded. "Of course I do. You should know that by now. Anyway, dig in. Dot, do you want coffee?"

Dianne nodded, her eyes giving away how tired she was. "Absolutely."

"Joe? Coffee?"

"Yes please."

///

"A football shirt!" Emelia held up one of the gifts her grandparents had got her.

Mark smiled. "It's the shirt for the Australian Women's football team. You know, I reckon you could end up playing for them one day. Oh! Check out the back."

Emelia turned the shirt over and grinned. "Look!" she held it up for Dianne to see. Dianne smiled as she realised that her parents had had 'Buswell' printed on it.

"That's amazing, Peanut. What a special gift."

"Thank you, grandpa. Thank you, grandma." Emelia walked over to her grandparents, kissing them both on the cheek before returning to her pile of presents and sitting down.

"Who's turn is it next?" she asked. Dianne smiled. It was funny how a year had made such a difference to Emelia's patience. She hadn't done much to help her learn, it just seemed to come naturally with her growing up.

"Why don't you give your mum her present?" Joe asked, smiling at Emelia. Emelia nodded and pulled out a small wrapped box from under the tree.

"Now, before you open it" Joe began, smiling as Emelia walked over and sat across both of their legs, "there's a bit of a story with this one. Emelia has been saving her pocket money for a while, and she wanted to get you something special. And we went on a secret little shopping trip, didn't we?"

Emelia nodded. "Yeah, and the lady in the shop said I made a good choice."

Dianne opened the box and gasped. "This is gorgeous, thank you." Pulling out a silver bangle with a beautiful tree charm attached to it, she smiled at Emelia and kissed her forehead.

"The tree has enough branches for all of us. Like a family tree."

"Ah, baby girl. That's so lovely. You didn't have to spend all your pocket money on me, though."

Emelia shrugged. "I know, but I love you."

"And I love you too."

As Emelia walked back over to her presents, Dianne found Joe's hand and slid her fingers between his.