Chapter Six

"Joe, I think I'm pregnant."

"Oh... oh wow. Seriously?"

Dianne nodded. "Yep. I really don't think this is jet lag, Joseph."

Joe grinned. "Come here."

He wrapped Dianne tightly in his arms, kissing her head. "Are you actually sure, though? This isn't some elaborate prank?"

Dianne shook her head. "Look at me Joe."

Joe's breath halted as he met Dianne's gaze. She took his hands and held them tightly.

"I'm not messing about. I wouldn't do that to you. Right now, I am absolutely convinced that I am pregnant."

Joe sighed, before gently kissing Dianne's lips. "That's amazing."

"It's good, right?" she said with a smile. "I mean, apart from the feeling crap and the tiredness, I'm happy."

"Do... do you want to do a proper test?" Joe asked. "I think we still have a spare from last time."

Dianne leaned into Joe's shoulder. "Not right now. I want to go to sleep. I was awake and then Rob messaged me saying he thought Emelia's video was going to be her telling everyone we were having a baby. And then it dawned on me. I mean, I think I've kind of known for a while. But it hit me then that I properly feel pregnant. And now I'm exhausted."

Joe rubbed her arm gently as he spoke. "I should have known the second you went off coffee."

"I know, right? It's weird. But the thought of coffee, or alcohol, just makes me feel weird. Hey, maybe that's why I didn't drink at Stacey's party? Do you reckon I was already pregnant?"

"Maybe. Bloody hell, I know we said we'd start trying but that must have been quick! Anyway, let's go back upstairs. It's freezing down here, plus if Bodhi realises we're still awake, he'll expect attention. And treats."

Dianne nodded and followed Joe back up to bed, her hand in his and he led the way. It was strange, she thought, that both of them were so calm. On the stairs, Joe turned to her with a shy smile.

"I forgot to say something" he whispered.

"What?"

"That I love you."

Dianne grinned. "I love you too."

///

"Time goes by... so slowly" Dianne sang. The pregnancy test sat on the corner of the counter as she washed her hands and checked her makeup in the mirror. They had both decided it was best to wait until the following day, when Emelia was in school, to do the test together.

Joe sat on the edge of the bath, laughing. "Were you this chilled out last time you found out you were pregnant?"

Dianne shook her head. "No. I was a state. Maybe it's because I'm sleep deprived, but I feel good right now. Anyway, I don't have as much to worry about this time."

Joe nodded. "True. Anyway, how long has it been?"

"A minute. Hurry up, time!"

Every second felt like an eternity. Both of them sat in silence. Dianne tried to think if the feelings her body was generating were the same feelings she had felt seven years ago. It was difficult to remember that far back, and it was different because she didn't have the weight of dread and worry in the pit of her stomach this time. She was surprised at how calm both she and Joe had been. Everything had been very matter-of-fact so far. Like it was meant to happen this way.

"Do you want to look first?" Joe asked as the timer went off on Dianne's phone.

Dianne took the stick, which was upside down, and sat next to Joe on the bath. "Let's do it together."