Chapter Fourteen

"Let me look at you." Rina held her daughter's arms as she stood back and admired her. "You look incredible."

Dianne smiled. "Thanks, mum."

"And Joe. Thank you for doing this. I think we all needed to see one another. Thank you. For everything you do for all of us."

Dianne caught Joe's eye and smiled as Rina kissed his cheek and hugged him close.

"Right, I have no idea where your dad has got to with the cases." Rina looked around, trying to spot her husband in the busy airport terminal. Waving, she caught his attention as he walked towards them with a trolley full of luggage.

"That's a lot of stuff. How long are you planning on staying for, Dad?" Dianne asked, jokingly.

Mark smiled and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Not that long, Dotty. But it is a little someone's birthday today. And then we've got another birthday, and then someone else is hopefully going to make an appearance at about the same time. Your mum has wrapped and packed all of the presents ready. That's what's in the big blue case. Just presents."

Dianne smiled at her mum, wrapping her arm around her. "I wouldn't expect anything less. Anyway, shall we get these to the car?"

///

"So, what's the plan?" Mark asked as the four of them- Mark, Rina, Joe and Dianne- sat around the kitchen table drinking coffee.

"Well, we thought we'd have a little meal out tonight for Emelia's birthday, if you're up to it. And then we're going to have a small party here on Saturday. She's invited some of her friends, and then family obviously, but we're keeping it low key. Just some games outside and party food. I'm too tired to do anything more exciting."

Rina smiled sympathetically at her daughter. "I can imagine. And did you say something about a concert?"

"Yes" Joe said. "Emelia's end of year concert. We've already had a mini solo version of the entire thing- you'll probably get a performance or two as well. Bless her, she's so excited about it. She can't wait for you guys to see it."

"Well, I'm looking forward to it as well" Mark said with a smile. "I'm so glad we could get out here to see you all and do these sorts of things."

Dianne nodded. "Definitely. Actually, we have something else arranged too. For next week. We know it might be a while before you get to meet your newest grandchild face to face, so we've booked in a 3D scan. We thought you might like to come along?"

Rina smiled at her daughter and Joe. "That sounds wonderful. Are you sure you want us there?"

"Mum, I want nothing more. We booked it specifically for you."

Once they had finished their coffees, Joe went outside to show Mark the progress he had made on the treehouse. He was determined to get it finished in time for Emelia's party, and Mark had offered to help as much as he could.

In the kitchen, Rina and Dianne sat at the table. "So, do you have a plan? For the birth?" Rina asked.

"We do. The hospital have been brilliant. Like I said to you on the phone, everything is looking good and I'm classed as low risk which is great. I'm not bothered about a water birth or anything like that. Just a comfortable, natural birth with Joe by my side and possibly an epidural if I decide I need it. Hopefully it'll be the same midwife we've been seeing. Lisa. She's lovely. We're going to try and avoid another episiotomy if we can because, as I'm sure you know, it bloody hurts."

Rina smiled. "You sound calm. Do you feel calm?"

Dianne nodded. "You know what? I really do. It's so different to last time, mum. I know I can do it. I know I'm not alone. I'm not scared. Not really."