Chapter 5- A Novel Approach

Harley's POV

I walked into school the next day with Malia and Lydia. We figured that someone has been stealing dead bodies. Tracy disappeared from the clinic and Lucas disappeared from the hospital.

Malia also found a book in Tracy's room. "The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCannon." Lydia pauses in the hallway and I run straight into Malia's back, who unsurprisingly doesn't move.

"What?" Malia asks and we begin walking again.

"There's something about it. Has anyone actually read it yet?"

"Just me and I didn't understand any of it."

"We should probably all read it." I tell them.

"Kira's working on it."

"In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors. Sounds vaguely familiar." Lydia reads from the back of the book.

"How does it end?" I inquire.

"It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one."

"Oh let me guess there is no volume two." Lydia says.

"I think we're living volume two."

"The real question is, is this a novel or someone's prediction."

I make my way to math class with Malia and Lydia. Malia whips around to Lydia. "Why is your heart beating so fast?"

"Look who is in the acknowledgements page." Malia's eyes widen. I look at it to see Dr. Gabriel Valack. Looks like we have someone to visit.

Scott ended up asking me to stay and watch over Malia, her not going because of the bad experiences from last time.

I sighed but of course agreed. I like Malia, I feel like we connect more than the others. I like Liam too. He's like another brother, I feel like I need to protect his young innocence even though he's a werewolf.

Malia and I decided to stay late at the Library and study. She asked for help when she needed it but otherwise it was a comfortable silence. I finished all my homework and began drawing, while Malia highlighted her textbook.

I hear someone pull out a chair and sit down. I look up seeing Theo. "Page turner?" He asks Malia who looks at me giving me a confused face. I glance at Theo and shrug, having no idea what he's doing here.

"Not exactly," She finally replies.

"Neither is this," he holds up a pre calc book.

Malia and I make eye contact again we look at each other for a moment before just going with it and working again.

"You really like drawing don't you?" Malia asks me.

"Umm yeah I guess. Most of the time I don't really realize what I'm drawing I just kinda space out and see what it is when I'm done."

"The minute you started drawing your chemo signals changed. You didn't seem so sad or even remorseful, even your face looked less damaged."

I quietly chuckle my brothers have told me the same thing.

"Maybe it's like a therapy for you." Theo suggests. I completely forgot he was here.

"Maybe when I'm drawing, but usually not when I the final product comes out."

I look down at my paper and grimace, the memories washing over me.

"What are they?" Theo asks softly as if testing the waters

"Hey, Harley it's ok you don't have to tell us, just calm down you're getting panicked." Malia says.

"It's just some memories. They uh they're hellhounds. Not like Parish though, they are the kind that actually take you to hell, you can only see them when your contract is up or looking through glass dipped in holy oil." I focus on my breathing. No need to freak out here at the library they're memories, just memories I tell myself.

I put on a hard face. "They look scary." She states.

"They are, especially when they're all coming after you." I run my fingers down my stomach remembering their claws and the pain all too well.

Theo's POV

I notice Harley running her fingers across her stomach. She must have been taken by them. Which means she's been in literal hell. But what does she mean by contract, and how is she hear now?

Harley's POV

I snap by book shut. "It's getting late Malia my brothers will be wondering where I am. If you still need help you can spend the night with me and we'll work on it." I offer.

We both begin to pack up our stuff. "No, I think I'm alright. Plus no offense I like you and all but I'm not so keen on meeting your brothers." I nod.

"You need a ride?" Theo asks. I show him my keys. He looks to Malia. "I'll take the bus."

"The last one left an hour ago." He informs.

"I'll walk."

"Are you sure you should be driving? Your face shows no emotions to what just happened but your chemo signals say another thing. And you can't walk all the way home." Theo smirks thinking he's got us.

I toss my keys to Malia who's super reflexes kick in and she catches them with ease. It's my turn to smirk, "Malia needs the practice, she can drive." We walk away from him and Malia smiles at me.

***

It's late so no one else is even on the road which makes it perfect for Malia to practice.

I look over and notice how tense she looks, especially with her hands at placed at 11 and 3.

"We can go a little bit faster, if you want." I nudge her.

"I'm driving the speed limit."

"No one drives the speed limit. You also don't need to hold the wheel like that." She doesn't say anything.

I reach over and grab her hand. "Here, try it down here."

She glances at me. "Better?" I ask.

She smiles and me and nods lightly.

Her hands move back up tightly on the top and she starts speeding up a lot.

"Malia, hey, I said a little faster not 95, slow down." I look over and her eyes are gazed and focused.

"Malia, are you ok?" I ask worried.

"Malia, slow down!" I reach for the wheel but she jerks us to the side causing me to fall to the side in my seat.

I quickly recover, "Malia stop! Stop the car. MALIA STOP!" Suddenly she slams on the breaks and rushes out in the middle of the road breathing heavy.

"Malia, Malia!"

I run over to her on the ground. "Malia, Malia, hey." I say in a soft voice. I see a car approaching.

"Malia, Malia! Come on we gotta get up!" I grab her shoulders and throw us away from the car that honks loudly.

I lay on the ground with Malia on top of me. "It was her." Malia pants loudly.

"What?"

"It was her. She was there.... the Desert Wolf." Malia looks at me her heart starting to calm down a touch.

'I wonder how it's going at Eichen.'