❃Of Virtue and Vases❃

Some time in August of 1959

(Y/n) found the perfect way to befriend John: partner up in a school project. It was perfect, she knew he was a slacker, and she had a good reputation for actually doing her work. Things fell perfectly into place when their teacher assigned a pair-project to work with clay sculpting. The prompt was to make a bouquet of flowers, vase included.

A small kit of clay and tools was given to each twin desk in the classroom. As the teacher passed out the kit to their desk, John, an actual tool, stirred in his seat and yawned, making a whole scene for the usually silent class. A few of his friends snickered, and (Y/n) was forced to suppress a laugh under the guise of a cough.

"We do have to work on this project, you know..." (Y/n) muttered.

"Fine, but I probably won't do much good," he replied, shuffling the kit around the desk, toying with its contents.

"Sure you will," she reassured him. "Besides, it'll more fun than doing it alone."

"I guess."

She dropped the topic and hoped he'd help at some point. The class took notes on some famous sculptures for the rest of the period. Just before class ended, John took the girl's arm as she swung her bag over her shoulder.

"Wait, uh (Y/n), right?"

"Yeah?"

"Meet me back here after school, we can make shitty clay flowers at my house," John said, making a face at her as they walked out of the classroom.

"Alright... well I'll see you then," she laughed, slightly more encouraged than before.

The young man stopped at his locker halfway down the crowded area, staring at (Y/n) as she continued walking. She went down the hall and turned the corner, leaving his line of sight.

Time passed agonizingly slow the rest of the day for them, as both were eager to work on the project. He wouldn't dare admit it at the time, but the idea of making these flowers with (Y/n) seemed like fun to him, instead of just another assignment to trudge through.

Just as he promised, John waited outside of the sculpting room, leaning against one of the desks. Running a few minutes behind, the (Y/n) showed up to meet him there, shifting the hem of her shirt with one hand while adjusting her skirt with the other.

"You're late," he said bitterly, keeping a stern expression, brows furrowed, the cherry on top.

"Sorry, I got caught up with a friend while going down the stairs," she scrambled to explain herself, tucking some stray strands of hair out of her face.

He cracked a smile and chuckled.

"Only joking, (Y/n), I'm not a monster.

They left the classroom as their teacher returned from the break-room, coffee in hand.

They walked across the dewey grass and on to the cold, textured pavement.

The two walked the few blocks of cobbled road down to John's house, making jokes and enjoying the other's company. There was a woman in the front room when he opened the door.

She greeted John and (Y/n) with a smile.

"Lovely to meet you, Ms..." Mimi said, looking displeased.

"(Y/n), uh (L/n)," she coughed out.

"Well, Ms. (L/n), would you like to come inside?" the older woman said curtly, tapping her fingers against the doorframe.