Rice and eggs

“Daddy? Papa? Are you awake?”
I open my eyes. The whole room is dark. I sit up and look towards the door. It’s Eri. I crawl out of bed and walk up to her.
“What’s the matter, princess?”
“I had a nightmare…”
“Wanna sleep with us?”
She nods. I pick her up and walk over to our bed, placing her between me and Hizashi.
“Want me to turn on the nightlight?”
Another nod. I click the button to the nightlight and lie down beside her. She pulls herself close to me, pushing her head against my chest.
“Goodnight, princess.”
“Goodnight, daddy.”
I kiss her forehead before I close my eyes.

I wake up again from not being able to breathe. My face is covered in fur. One of the cats is sleeping on my face. Okay.
“Tamotsu, stinky cat. Get off, I can’t breathe.”
I push the cat off from my face. He jumps down and settles on the cover instead.
“Yeah that’s what I thought. Stinky cat.”
It’s the first day of school. Hitoshi’s first day in class 2-A. We’re going to have to go back to the dorms today. And Hizashi is going to have to drive Eri to school every day, since his first lesson is later than mine. The first class is always homeroom, no matter what year you’re in. I guess I’ll make breakfast. I pry Eri’s hands from my shirt, carefully to not wake her up. I walk downstairs, starting to prepare breakfast. I’ll just make something with egg and rice. Not too hard. Can’t possibly mess it up.

“Hizashi.”
I poke his cheek.
“Help me.”
“What’s going on…?”
He sits up and puts on his hearing aids and glasses.
“I messed up the breakfast.”
“What did you try to make?”
“Rice and eggs.”
“Did you… did you mess up… rice?”
“Yes.”
“How could you possible mess up rice?”
“I don’t know.”
“You’ve made rice before.”
“I know.”
“Then how…”
He closes his eyes for a moment.
“I’ll help you…”
He gets out of bed and walks to the kitchen with me. The flowers he bought are still blooming. He bought dark purple tulips. He walks over to the counter.
“I need to teach you how to cook one day…”
“Why would I know how to cook if I have you?”
I put my arms around him from behind and lean my head against his shoulder.
“Why’d you get up so early, by the way?”
“Tamotsu was sleeping on my face, I couldn’t breathe.”
“Didn’t you place him on your face once?”
“Schhhhh you promised not to talk about that.”
“Right.”
“He’s stinky.”
“No he’s not! Don’t call him that!”
“Stinky cat!”
“No! Stop!”
“Stinky, stinky, stinky cat!”
He hits me in the head with the plastic spatula.
“Stop! No more insulting the cats!”
I smile and kiss his cheek.
“You’re stinky too. Stinky man.”
“Rude.”
He puts a couple of eggs in the frying pan. I kiss the base of his neck.
“Stinky man. That’s what you are.”
I kiss him again and again. He puts his hands over mine and pulls me closer. Oh how I love this man. I let go of him and walk in front of him instead, so I can kiss him on the mouth. I put my arms around his neck and pull his head down a little. I wrap his hair around my hand.
“You need to shave…” he mumbles against my skin.
“You know you think my stubble is attractive.”
“Attractive, yes, but not comfortable.”
I hear footsteps from upstairs and quickly let go of him. It would probably be weird if the kids saw us like this. I start preparing the table instead.
“Good morning…”
It’s Hitoshi. His hair is standing out in every single direction. Not that it doesn’t always do that, but it’s even worse than normally.
“Are you hiding any more boys under your bed?”
“What? No I’m not.”
He’s blushing. It’s very pale, but it’s there.
“Could you wake up Eri?”
“Yeah, sure…”
He rubs his eyes and walks towards her bedroom.
“She’s in our bedroom, by the way!”
He turns and walks inside our bedroom instead. He walks back out with Eri a couple of minutes later. I pick her up and put her in her boosted chair. She sits on two pillows to be able to reach the table.

Hitoshi wanted to go to school first, so he wouldn’t be seen with me. I tried telling him that I’m gonna be his homeroom teacher, but he doesn’t want to listen. I go by train to UA, dressed in my hero costume, sitting with a bag with my clothes. We are moving back in the dorms today, after all. I walk through the familiar walls that surround UA campus. There’s already lots of students there, including the new first years. 220 new students. 220 students graduating. Or well, less, since some were expelled. By me. Oops. I quickly go to the staff room and put my bag on my chair behind my desk. Toshinori, Nemuri and Thirteen are already there. Sometimes I wonder if Thirteen’s hero suit is really warm, or if that’s what they look like. I guess I’ll never know.

I can hear people talking from inside the classroom of class 2-A. I smile a last time before I put on my teacher and pro hero role, and open the door.
“I want everyone in their seats when the bell rings.”
They all hurry up and sit down in their assigned seats. I stand behind my desk and look at my class, which now includes Hitoshi. I have to suppress another smile.
“Good morning, and welcome to your second year at UA. As you might have noticed, we have a new student in class. Hitoshi Aizawa.”
“Ooooh, are you related?”
Ashido is asking. I sigh.
“Yes. He’s my son.”
“Really!?”
“Yes, really.”
I look at Hitoshi. He’s blushing and looking down in his desk.
“Most of you probably know him. He’s staying in your dorms and will have class with you. Please don’t treat him any different because he’s new or because he’s related to me.”
“Yes, Aizawa-sensei!”
It’s gonna be weird hearing Hitoshi call me “Aizawa-sensei” instead of “dad”.