Marble

Back home at last. I'm not allowed to do any hero work for at least three weeks, until my cast is off, but I can teach. At least for a couple of hours each day. At the moment, I'm just chilling on the couch in the teacher's lounge with my leg propped up on a chair. It's my lunch break. Nemuri insisted she's bring me food so I didn't have to walk. It's very lonely in here. I miss my cats and Eri. Technically, I'm done for the day, I might as well head back to our dorm and take a nap. At least then I'd have a bed and my cats. Or I could just nap here and let Hizashi carry me back when he's done…

"Daddy wake up! It's dinner!"
I rub my eyes and look around. Eri has crawled into bed with me, currently poking my cheeks. 
"I'm coming, princess. Can you hand me my crutches?"
"Yeah!"
She gives me a quick kiss on my forehead and hops down from the bed.
"Are you sure you don't want me to rewind you?"
"Yes, I'm sure. But thank you for offering."
I take the crutches from her small hands and stand up.
"What's for dinner?"
"Pops ordered Takoyaki, he just came back home."
"Sounds lovely."
Teachers usually eat whatever we want unless someone has ordered or cooked for all of us, but that only happens on special occasions. We step inside the elevator and Eri presses the button to the ground floor. She's just tall enough to reach without having to stand on her tiptoes. She's grown a lot since we rescued her, but she's still fairly short compared to her classmates. I've heard them ask about her scars, and she doesn't always know what to answer. I don't blame her, I would be traumatized if what happened to her happened to me. But the teachers tells the other kids that it's not nice to point out somebody's scars or imperfections. They're really kind, the teachers. Next year she's going to the same school where Fuyumi Todoroki teaches, Shoto Todoroki's older sister. I made sure that I knew who's gonna take care of my girl, and I trust Fuyumi. I don't know her that well but she seems kind and caring. 
"What are you thinking about?"
I snap out of my haze and look down at Eri.
"Oh, just that you're getting so big! You're gonna grow up to be so tall and strong."
"Really? You think so?"
"Absolutely, I'll make sure of it myself."
"Do you think I can get to train with you and 'Toshi someday?"
"Of course, but you're still young. We want to wait until you're a bit older, when you can actually get muscles."
We step out of the elevator. The common area smells like a bunch of different foods. Nemuri got herself sushi. And…
"Tensei?"
He rolls out his wheelchair and looks at me.
"What are you doing here?"
"Well I don't have anything to do so I thought I'd visit some old friends. We haven't met since the wedding!"
Eri seems to hide a bit behind me. Right, she hasn’t been formally introduced to Tensei yet.
“Eri, this is Tensei Iida, older brother to Tenya Iida from 2-A. He used to be a hero and we went to school together. He was there at the wedding, remember?”
Tensei waves from his chair. Eri is still shy to new people, especially adults. She hesitates.
“It’s okay, he’s kind, you can trust him.”
"Are you sure?"
"I'm sure. Go say hi. I'll go sit down."
I slightly push Eri towards Tensei before sitting down by the table. It takes her a couple of seconds before she goes up to him. I place my crutches on the floor next to my chair and lean my head against Hizahi's shoulder. 
"Did you carry me here from the lounge?"
"I did. I'm not surprised you fell asleep in there, the couch is really comfy."
He hands me a plate filled with food. I snatch a sushi roll from Nemuri's plate without her noticing. 

"Dad."
Somebody is poking my shoulder. I must have fallen asleep by the table. I sit back up and look at whoever is speaking to me.
"Yeah?"
"Can I take Eri to my dorm? Midoriya messaged me saying he wanted to meet her."
"Yeah, sure, just make sure she's back at 8.30, or she's gonna fall asleep in your dorms."
"Yeah whatever."
I lean my head against Hizashi's shoulder again. Hitoshi takes Eri's hand and leaves the dorm with her. I've been sleepy all week. 
"Shota, you can't sleep all day."
"It's not day, it's evening."
"But you just napped, you gotta stay awake."
"Fuck you Nemuri, I can sleep whenever I want."
"That's rude, now get up."
"No."
"I'll take Hizashi from you."
"You can't do that."
"I can and I will."
Hizashi's shoulder disappears from under cheek. Nemuri has taken his chair and pulled it out.
"Hey! Give me back my boyfriend!"
"I thought you were married."
"Okay fine, give me back my husband!"
"Nope, I have the divorce papers right here."
I don't have the energy to fight her, and I can't reach my crutches. 
"Can I nap now?"
"No!"

It's almost 9 and Hitoshi isn't back yet. I suppose he just forgot. I pick up my phone and call him.
"Come on, pick up…"
No answer.
"I'll go over to the 2-A dorm and get Eri."
I grab my crutches and slowly stand up.
"I'm coming with you."
"Why?"
"In case you fall?"
"Haha, very funny. You just need an excuse to be nearby."
"Maybe."
"Whatever, let's go."
I make my way over to the door and leave the dorm building. The air is cool and the sky is dark. 
"Do you think he forgot? Or maybe they both fell asleep?"
"I don't know, it doesn't matter. I trust 'Toshi but I won't let her sleep outside her own bed."
It's a two minute walk to the dorm. It seems like the lights are still on. I knock on the door before opening it.
"Hitoshi? Are you in here?"
Most of the class is sitting in the common area, playing some board game.
"Are Hitoshi and Eri here?"
They look up at me.
"No, we thought they were with you."
"No, he said he was taking Eri here. He said Midoriya had messaged him-"
"I haven't sent any messages to Hitoshi."
"Then where is he? He never came back here?"
"No, not since he left to go to you."
"Everyone get up, we're going out."
I go back outside. UA campus is huge, it's gonna take hours to check everywhere. I could cover more if I wasn't still injured. 
"Hizashi, can you call for them?"
"Yeah, give me a moment…"
"Everyone cover your ears!"
Hizashi clears his throat and activates his quirk.
"HITOSHI? ERI?"
The sound of his voice echoes between the buildings. If they're at campus, they must have heard him. But no one comes or answers.
"I want everyone to look for them, no one goes to sleep before we've found them."
My pulse is going up. Where are they? Why aren't they answering? Are they just playing a prank? Did they run away? I haven't been this stressed, ever.

It's been over an hour and we haven't found anything, except a single, purple strand of hair. It doesn't help much, though. I've walked all the way over to Ground Beta without finding anything. I have tears in my eyes, but I'm trying to not show it. Kirishima is walking with me and I don't want him to see me like this. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my children. The reasons I'm alive. I can't lose them. 

The bush next to me moves.
"Eri? Hitoshi, is that you?"
No answer now either. I sigh and turn back from the bush, but it moves again.
"Show yourself, coward."
A single, light blue marble rolls out from the bush and down in front of my feet. A single, light blue marble that could only have been created by one person: Mr. Compress.