NINE - All The Difference

*Megan*

I woke up slowly at first, then, when the first waves of consciousness finally came back, fear and adrenaline was like a jolt going through me.

I tensed and prepared to spring into action.

Only there was nothing to fight or even fear in the cell I was in. And it was a cell.

A police one if the sign on the wall across from the bars was to believed. It proclaimed that this was the Weckery police station.

Except there was no sound of noisy humans. No lights on. Only the faint in and out breath of two people; one on the other side of the wall to my left, the other to my right.

The one to my left was Robin.

Robin was here. And he was alive. I could sense him through the pack bonds.

But unconscious or sleeping judging from his slow steady breaths.

I could also smell his blood. I didn't want to think about that.

The person on the other side was awake though.

"Robin?" I said, swinging my legs of the uncomfortable cot I'd been placed on. I tried not to think about the fact that I'd been unconscious, probably for some time, totally helpless. Anyone could have done anything to me. The wolf hated the thought and I couldn't say the human part of me felt any less uneasy about it. "You okay? Robin?"

Robin said nothing nor did his breathing change. He must still be unconscious. That was worrying. Then again warrior wolves might heal faster but a blow to the head could be serious.

I wondered how long I'd been out. If it had been more than an hour or two Robin was in big trouble.

"You're awake," a voice that belonged to the person was in what I presumed was the next cell next door, said. "That's good."

"Who are you?" I asked, walking over to the bars. They were too tight for me to get my head out to so I couldn't see much beyond the wall I was facing. "Do you know where we are? How long have I been out?"

"Abandoned police station outside of the city," the guy said. "I'm Greg. They brought me here yesterday. You about two hours ago."

They had to be the Montreal pack, right? I wasn't sure what that made Greg. The hunter the text had warned us off? A rogue? Someone else entirely? A human that had seen too much?

I wasn't quite sure, because there was a wall between us and I wasn't in my wolf shape. But I thought there was another wolf scent in this place other than me and Robin. Could that be our kidnappers? Or was it Greg? Was he a wolf? 

If he was that meant he at least wasn't the hunter. 

But if he was the hunter, he was as much my enemy as the people who had put me in this cell.

"Who are you?" I asked again, trying to get a look into the cell next door but failing because of the angle.

"Greg St. Clare," he said and I heard him move closer to the bars. "My father is the pack Alpha. Why are you here? Who are you?"

"Oh, that's rough," I told him while relief flooded through me. Not the enemy. Maybe even a friend. "We got a text there was a hunter in town. We thought maybe you needed help."

"A Hunter? No," he said. "There was a wolf who claimed he was hunting down a group of witches. My father didn't believe him. I tried to help him escape but he caught me and now I'm here."

"Witches?" I asked, thinking of James. James didn't like witches. Not one bit. Marisol had been half witch, half werewolf. If there were witches this close to his territory, he'd be upset. I wondered if James would win against a group of witches and prayed he would because once he learned of them, he'd want to hunt them all down. "What happened to the hunter?"