Chapter 24 - Where Is Everyone? part 1

Hey guys! Exciting new, BOUND TO YOU will be downpriced across all online retailers during the month of October and it was selected as a Kindle Monthly Deal. Whoowhoo! Perfect as fall is the best time to catch up on some reading. So grab your favorite e-reader, some hot chocolate and snuggle up and enjoy a great read!

Chapter 24 - Where Is Everyone? 

"You good?" Robin asked as we drove up towards the St. Claire's house.

"Little nervous," I said, even though I'd wanted to come I was worried about just what we'd find at the house. But James had called the burner phone Dante had loaned us and said it was okay.

But men in black with guns was different. Another werewolf rouge or not I knew how to deal with, another pack too. But soldiers?

Not to mention the implications of it.

"You know James didn't mean anything but telling you to stay behind while he went in first," Robin continued.

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Just," Robin glanced my way. "Nothing."

I tilted my head and studied him as discreetly as I could while still keeping my eyes on the road. He looked bothered. I couldn't quite decide why though.

Should I be upset by James wanting to check the place out with Dante first? I wasn't. At least I hadn't been. I mean he was being protective.

Wasn't he?

Did Robin think it was some other reason? Did he know something I didn't? Had James said something to him about not wanting me along?

No. There had been no time for that. James had asked me if I'd wanted to come. Given me the choice. He wouldn't have done that if he didn't want me along. Or at least didn't mind it.

Probably.

Most likely.

"Turn up here," Robin instructed and I did, still not sure what to think as we drove up towards a large brick building.

I wanted to ask Robin what he meant but I also didn't want to seem clueless. Only how was I supposed to know what 'James didn't mean anything by it' was about. Because the fact that Robin had felt the need to mention did mean it meant something.

I parked next to where Dante's truck was. There were a number of cars in the lot. The house was set back some distance from the road, big, like maybe almost big enough to be an apartment building. Or warehouse.

There were no lights on. Not strange because it was day time. But there was also no noise. No faint voices, no radio or TV. No movement.

"Tire tracks leading out of here are vans and trucks," Dante said, pointing towards the dirt road we'd come up. "Mud's dried so they're easy to spot."

"Two people inside," James said, eyes on the house. "Alive but sleeping or unconscious."

"How many dead?" Robin asked.

Dead? I glanced around.

"Enough blood for a few," James said, still not looking at us.

"But no bodies," Dante said grimly. "At least not outside. Something bad went down here."

A knot in my stomach I walked up to James, wanting to ask, wanting to feel what he was feeling through the mate bond. But all I got from it was tension. It was a strange thing and I wasn't sure I'd ever felt him tense in this way.

Not the time to ask what Robin had mean, what James had meant, by not taking me with him. Had he been protecting me? Or did he just not want someone untrained, someone almost useless, in a possible fight? If it was the latter, it hurt, but it was true. Even if I was alpha, I wasn't a fighter. Being alpha meant being smart, realizing you had to do what was best for everyone. So I couldn't fault James for that. And if it was the first, that was nice. It meant he cared, that he wanted me out of danger.

Or was there some third possibility I couldn't even think of?

The knot grew worse as I looked up at the house, but not from whatever was going on between me and James. Something had definitely gone down in this place. Something awful, something that made the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up.