SEVENTEEN - Reunited pt. 2

A knock on the door woke me up. James was already awake and wearing pants, but since I could still feel some of his warmth on the other side of the bed I knew he hadn't been away from me for long.

He'd slept next to me all night long.

A tickling happy feeling filled me as I pulled the sheet up around me and admired James back as he went to open the door.

He'd stayed with me. Slept next to me.

That was a big deal for him. Even if it hadn't happened after we'd had sex, it still was progress. It meant he trusted me, needed me, wanted me, enough to fight whatever instinct was still forcing him to keep me at arm's length.

"It's Dante," James said, pausing and looking over at me. Giving me the choice to stay where I was, quickly grab some clothes or escape into the bathroom.

I chose the latter, not quite ready for Dante to intrude into mine and James room. Not ready for the day to start and the night of sleeping in James arm's to fade away.

But maybe this was the start of something new. Maybe things would be different. Maybe coming to Quebec without him was a good thing.

Thinking about it, I realized, James seemed to only realize he wanted me, missed me, cared, when I was away. When he thought he might lose me.

I guessed maybe that made sense as I stepped into the shower. He cared but only when faced with the consequences of losing me, did he let himself admit it. And then he took it back again.

Kind of. At least that was how it had been when he'd finally let me in, accepted the mate bond after he thought I was leaving for California and Caltech. And there was the bit where me and Trist had been attacked by wraiths too.

Point was, James did care about me, he just wasn't able to embrace it fully. Which I kind of hoped but last night was proof wasn't it?

And if it was, could that be enough?

I waited until I no longer heard voices out in the room and then I got out of the shower and wrapped myself in the nice fluffy robe. In the mirror, I looked just like my normal self. I felt like myself too.

Remembering I'd killed someone yesterday didn't change that. I wondered if it should. Perhaps I was in denial or shock, but rather than horribly guilty or something, I felt good. Safe. Happy even, because James and I were closer to each other than we'd been. Or at least I felt we were.

"Dante filled me in on what happened," James said sharply as I came out. He was still shirtless and was facing the window. "You left out some parts of your killing St. Claire's son."

"Yeah, well, neither one of us were in the mood to talk last night," I replied, not liking his kind of accusatory tone.

"I don't know what to do," he said and now his voice was low and lost.

"We'll figure it out," I told him, walking over to him. "Together."

"It's my job to keep you safe," he said, turning around, a harsh smile on his face. "Brilliant job I've done of it."

"No, it's our job to keep the pack safe." I tried.

"No, it's my job," he growled.

"And I'm just here to look pretty?" I asked eyebrows raised.

He opened his mouth but seemed to think better of whatever he was about to say.

"I want you safe," he said, "You can't blame me for that."

"No," I agreed, "I want you safe too. But that doesn't mean we both can't help out. Two heads are better than one and eight paws better than four."